The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
20g high planted (56k warning new pics 2/7/07)

Here are some of the specs:

Plants:
Crypt wendtii
1 Java fern w/new plants forming
1 large sword w/two nrunners, about 6 baby swords
2 anubias nana

Fish:
2 red head severum (Heros sp. "Rotkeil")
2 skunk corys (Corydoras arcuatus)

Equipment:
Approx. 18 watts of lighting, upgrading to a coralife soon
Penguin 200 Bio Wheel filter
200w Marineland submersible heater

The updated pics:

The Heros sp. "Rotkeil"

And a skunk cory:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sure if I'm gonna keep the sevs, I kind of want to get a small school of about 10 cardinals. I also want to get more skunk corys or panda corys. Any other ideas on stocking? Or plants?

·
Registered
247 Posts
well i can tell you right off that if you prize your other fish you will get rid of your severums i made that mistake when i first got into fish keeping.
there not as agressive as other cichlids but they wont fit in a 20 gallon.

also you need to plant your plants in the subtrate.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they are all planted. That one that is floating is an anubias nana that popped up when i did maintenance in the tank. didnt notice it until after. But the crybt is planted in the substrate.

Also I'm not planning to keep them, I know that they will outgrow them. I'm starting up a fishroom soon, and should have plenty of options for places to put them. I have also made the mistake of mixing them with smaller fish, I once had a gold sverum that ate all the neons I put in the tank.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
i think sevs get pretty huge, may want to get something else. nice shots and tank, should be real nice with coralifes.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I moved the sevs to another tank, thinknig of maybe getting rid of them, they seem to go for a lot cause they are the red headed sevs, not the green ones.

But anyways, my dad is getting to know the guys at the petland next to us really well, so they gave him a deal on 4 blue rams for $1.88 each. I gave him the money and now theyre in this tank.

Im surprised actually. They have colored up really nicely already, show no signs of disease, and are eating like pigs. Also, they're fins are almost always erectThis is probably my 3rd or fourth try at rams in the last 3 months, I think I might actually get them to survive this time. It could have been the source before, I was getting them at petco.

Ill snap some pics later on. I tihnk i have 3 females and one male, or half and half, but it is really hard to determine.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If you have 3 f and a m, consider buying a lottery ticket.
actually, if oyu have any females from a chain store, consider yourself VERY lucky.
the wholesalers the chains use usually import mostly males, and they are juiced on howmones and such to make their colors better.
females are RARE.
this probally explains the dorsal fins erect too, because they are intimidating each other.

·
Registered
122 Posts
hmmm...so far so good i think, and why do you have a 200w heater for a 20gal high? they don't need that much, a 100w-150 will do just fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i got my sevs small but once they started growing into my 20 gal i started finding nipped tetra fins so they got moved into the big house aka my 55

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
really? All I ever see around here is females, I am actually having a hard time finding a male. Could hormones be making their bellies pink? Because one of the "females" nips at all the other ones, just like a male would. This could be because they are breeding, but they are only about 1" or less.

Also, about the heater,I got a great deal on the tank and everything they had inside it, which was a 200w heater, emperor 200 filter, and a ton more. I switched heaters anyways, putting the 200w in my 30g and i have a 50 watt on this for now that is actually heating the water to about 84 degrees (that is actually higher than the 200w, for some reason it didnt go past 82) which i know the rams like.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
hmmm, are you sure they're females?
You really can't tell just by color, the dorsal will give it away though. I know my lfs thinks they have females all the time because some of theirs aren't all juiced up, andtheir colors are more drab.

I have seen a few females from time to time at my closest lfs, but it's a whole lot more likely to find males.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
all of them have pretty short dorsal fins , 1 has a really bright pink belly, 2 are so/so. Also , 3 have the blue spots inside the black dot. The one that I believe to be male has an elongated body, and it looks like his dorsal spines are starting to get longer in the front. At a little less than one inch, should he already have there, or still be developing them?

Im really excited that these are all still alive. I usually have deaths with these start at 3 days, and this is the 3rd day.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
oh, if they are that small it may be really hard to tell then.
good luck with them.
Now, nack to business.......PICS PLEASE!!!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
i see one that looks male, but they are probally a little young to tell, and they aren't really erecting their dorsals in the pics.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts