The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
OK that's weird i followed the link and when i refreshed the page it generated a comment w/ my TPT username. Also strange is the comment is time stamped for 12:21am 11-13-10.

·
Registered
UNS 90U - 21 gallon low-boy
163 Posts
LOL. Both aquascapes looked very good in person. I was very impressed.

You have to give it to Frank who really held his own against Luis.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Lol! In any given situation. Let alone at the king of conventions! No offense oogly, just found it funny. :icon_bigg
I was being facetious anyways :icon_bigg but IDK yet how I feel about such speed competitions using media that grows and lives. I used to do speed drawing in High school using charcoal. We would draw live subjects in weird poses b/c 1. They couldn't hold the poses for so long and 2. the speed at which you move gives your artwork a kind of moving feel to it since the strokes are usually very long,m minimal, and sweeping. We usually only had 45 seconds to draw the subject.

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
I wish I could have been there...

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I have to say that, competing against Luis Navarro, who has been in the planted / aquascaping side of the hobby since it started in the States (and probably even before hand, that guy's house is full of some beautiful scapes and valuable artifacts) was a great honor. I left the competition floor feeling proud of the event itself and the scapes produced this year.

It has been an amazing journey since I started this obsession two years ago - for me the experience during the event itself was completely surreal. My goal was just to not get stomped by Luis.

Sure, if I were to do it again I probably would have removed some of those unnecessary stones from the front, and not included the moss (moss was given to us at the very last minute in the competition), but you know what they say about hindsight. With only an hour to completely finish an aquascape, you don't have time to second guess yourself. Honestly my biggest fear was the driftwood floating up to the top - there was a razor-thin edge with those stones barely keeping it down.

I was again, deeply honored that the person who ended up buying the setup in the AGA auction took great lengths to bring the tank home with the aquascape completely intact and to grow it out as is until completion with some adjustments that we talked about beforehand to kind of correct some of it's flaws. It will be interesting to see how the tank looks in 6 months time!

·
Algae Eater
3,182 Posts
Both tanks are very nice, esp. considering the short time, you guys have no idea how hard it is to put together a tank in 1 hour. Jason Baliban and I did an iron aquascaper at Aquafest this year. Its very tough to do. A crowd watching what you are doing and staring at a bunch of hardscape and plants trying to put something together in an hour. I normally take several days to set a hardscape, change something look at it for a few days, ect. A job well done Frank and Luis!

·
Registered
400 Posts
second one is much more artistic and creates more depth. power strip is trailer trash.

Lance Uppercut says:
November 13, 2010 at 12:21 am

Sounds great! Although I have seen Franks work and have never seen anything impressive but his writing skill.

Sparky McPlanter says:
November 14, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Frank is pretty much a hack, but he is a good writer.

Ouch...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts