The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I say the King of Java Fern and epiphytes to be Amano Takashi.

What's your experience with growing Java Fern successfully (ie. 2 years - 10 years same plant)?

Is it mild temperatures?
Low bioload?
Low light?
Flow?

I haven't been able to grow this plant properly so I wouldn't even be able to share what is the incorrect way - there are just too many variables. All my tanks have been extra-high bioload though which I know is detrimental for any planted tank.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I've had a few ferns get 24" in length before, the key was CO2 to keep the old growth algae free.

It helps to keep some of the juvenile plants and tuck them into the old growth, they essentially become the same plant after the roots get tangled up, and it helps keep the old growth looking "new".

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have issues with java fern as well, so I can't help much, but am interested in hearing from someone who gets it to grow well...

no co2, all my tanks are low tech

·
Banned
628 Posts
Amano said Java Fern likes to be trimmed. I just trimmed mine a couple of weeks ago. I remember reading it grows on the shady banks of streams so it does like flow. Mine hasn't grown much in the last ten years. It hasn't grown hardly at all in that time. It has suffered through a couple of lengthy periods of neglect. It's hard to kill yet also a little hard to make thrive. It's a curious plant.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I'm growing it currently in 2 tanks 1 high tech co2 other no ferts no c02 low ph.
Narrow leaf is growing well in both. Regular looks better in high light co2 bit still shabby.
Low light tank looks worse, has more holes in old growth and more algae.
First picture is both narrow and regular low light

Second narrow high light
3rd is regular high light.

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've found it difficult to keep looking good in high pH...so maybe that is also a factor? The irony is that it can tolerate a good deal of salt. (I had mine in 1TBS per gallon once, treating ick the old-fashioned way, and the Java Fern did very well.)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Mine grew babies like no tomorrow and has been overrun by Hydrocotyle tripartita and can't get them separated. It never grew much in my tank unlike every other plant. It got healthier looking when I boosted nutrients though and started to pop out more. I've got high light, CO2, ~7.2pH before CO2 drop, and 13GH/5KH water.

Java fern is left, midground just above the AR mini in the foreground buried in the Hydrocotyle tripartita which grows like weeds.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It's a funny plant. My present collection has two different Java Ferns that I kept going for nearly 30 years, I even had bagged them up and was going to give them to a friend and then almost forgotten about it for 3 years in a ziplock.

When I found the ziplock, the Java Moss I had stashed away with the fern had all become mush but the three rhizomes of Fern had survived with some tiny leaves and when placed back in my 10 gallon with some white clouds back in 2014 it started growing again. I now have Narrowleaf, Trident, and Windelov in addition to my big leaf and Philippine. The Big Leaf grows well in my green house pond which dips down to the 50's some years. Some of my big leaf from 1992

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.