The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im starting a low tech 20 long and am in need of suggestions for lighting. Like I said I would like low tech, and if possible little to no algae issues. I was looking at a dual T5 (not HO) 6700k setup. I have found two brands on Amazon, one is a coralife and the other is an aqueon. Reviews are kinda iffy on both fixtures.

Im open to suggestions. The lights needs to have a clean look since Im putting the tank in a living room.

BTW I'm open to led suggestions but again I'd like to keep it low maintenance and minimal algae. I had a 40 gallon dirted tank with ferts co2 and quad t5ho. I loved that setup, especially the growth but I'm just looking to get a nice small tank setup with some crypts, s. Repens, sag, vals, and other low to medium light plants growing well.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you looked at the Finnex Stingray? Have one on my 20 gallon long shrimp tank and love it. Growing nothing too high light in it just some mosses, ferns and buces. No algae issues and it has a very "clean" look to it as it is razor thin.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I personally would get the 24/7. On 20L it could take you from low to high light depending on your setting. I have a 20L high tech and I have the 24/7 set to max for about 7 hours a day. Setting everything to say 30% would probably give you low light. If you decide to go higher tech: excel, diy c02, or even pressurized, you could. With a stingray you couldn't.

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
Amazon.com : Current USA 24"-36" Satellite Plus PRO LED Light : Pet Supplies

Satellite Plus PRO

A lot more flexibility.. and sometimes low tech does better w/ high tech lighting.. ;)

for "some" consideration though 2 may be necessary..
http://www.marineandreef.com/Aqueon...RES15721.htm?gclid=CL7z3sHy1MwCFQsPaQodEE4K8w

Output is low:
Par=15 @ at 12". Lumens=850.
Radio frequency remote control with 24-hour timer and large LCD screen
8 Preset color options for quick customization
Independent control ..?
Dimming capability in 10% increments
Automatic 30 minute sunrise and sunset - to replicate a natural cycle

·
Registered
264 Posts
24/7 Planted plus is great because you can set it to whatever you want with the remote plus it is a good value.

I have one on my no co2 low tech 20L. I have it set on 24/7 from 6am to Midnight then off by timer midnight to 6am. The light always turns on at the 6am setting on the remote.

You may have to fiddle with ithe timing and settings for awhile to make sure you don't get any algae outbursts...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.