The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of buying all of the equipment for my 20 gallon long and have yet to buy any light bulbs or the lighting fixture. The tank is going to be planted and house a couple cichlids if that has anything to do with anything. Can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As for my budget, I don't really want to spend more than lets say $70 but if needed I could go higher. The tank is going to be mostly planted with dwarf hair grass and a few other plants as well (that I havn't decided on yet:icon_redf ). And I have DIY Co2 "plugged" into an Xp2 Rena Filstar.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! Would I need to buy one of those glass conapys to put the lights on? And it says 18 watts per bulb, is that suffeciant?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Thanks guys! Would I need to buy one of those glass conapys to put the lights on? And it says 18 watts per bulb, is that suffeciant?
It's actually 9 watts per bulb. I currently have one on a 20L and I'm not that sure I would recommend it. Light coverage is perfect, as the case with any bulb that spans the whole length of the tank. Another thing I like is the bulb combinations, the 9325K along with the 6700K provide a great balance of color.

Now for the problems. The unit has no reflectors and hence the light intensity isn't evenly spread out across the width of the tank. Another thing is the lack of watts per bulb, it doesn't look as bright as it should.

I'm really considering going with power compacts instead, especially since a 30" has no HO T5 fixture which would have been the ideal choice. HTH.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Blacksunshine: look at the price crossed out it says, "regular price 9.99, our price 79.99" :hihi:

epicfish: I think I'm going to go with that one.

Is 65watt medium tech? If I wanted to upgrade to a 10,000k bulb instead of the 6,700k, all I would have to do is buy the 10,000k bulb, right?

Sorry for all the questions...

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
65 watts over a 20 gallon would be high light and possibly high tech. Stay with 6700K IMO. A mix of 6700K and 10KK would be best, but won't be possible with that fixture. And yes, if you do choose to switch to 10KK, just buy a 10KK bulb of the same length and pin configuration.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Uh, why not go with one of these suckers?

http://www.hellolights.com/301xcofraqcf.html

$58 for 65 watts. It'll be OK if you have CO2.
I was going to suggest that light as well except for one thing. The bulb on the 30" model isn't centered. so you get more light spread on the right side of the tank instead of the center and left. Other then that yes thats a great fixture.
If you want that fixture get the 24" and the long leggs and modify them so you can reach the sides of the tank. Thats what I'm using. But I have the 2x65W version.

65 watts over a 20 gallon would be high light and possibly high tech. Stay with 6700K IMO. A mix of 6700K and 10KK would be best, but won't be possible with that fixture. And yes, if you do choose to switch to 10KK, just buy a 10KK bulb of the same length and pin configuration.
Ehh.. I'd call it Med - high lighting. 130w over a 20L now thats high-light/tech.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
65w with a good reflector is all you'll want to try to handle on a 20 Long with DIY Co2. Don't go any higher unless you're doing a reef :)

I have a 20 Long that's almost completely HC with a little hairgrass in the back corners. I'm using an Orbit 2 x 65w with only one of the lights on. I run pressurized Co2 and I'm still trying to eliminate the algae that popped up in the beginning. I greatly underestimated what 65w would do for a 20 Long. Putting whatever light you get up on legs will help with the spread.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It's actually 9 watts per bulb. I currently have one on a 20L and I'm not that sure I would recommend it. Light coverage is perfect, as the case with any bulb that spans the whole length of the tank. Another thing I like is the bulb combinations, the 9325K along with the 6700K provide a great balance of color.

Now for the problems. The unit has no reflectors and hence the light intensity isn't evenly spread out across the width of the tank. Another thing is the lack of watts per bulb, it doesn't look as bright as it should.

I'm really considering going with power compacts instead, especially since a 30" has no HO T5 fixture which would have been the ideal choice. HTH.
You had me kind of concerned about my lights when I read this. So I looked mine over. I must have different lights because mine have real nice polished reflectors. Plus my HC and most my plants are pearling and growing good. Each bulb says 18 watts and appear nice and bright.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Blacksunshine: look at the price crossed out it says, "regular price 9.99, our price 79.99" :hihi:

epicfish: I think I'm going to go with that one.

Is 65watt medium tech? If I wanted to upgrade to a 10,000k bulb instead of the 6,700k, all I would have to do is buy the 10,000k bulb, right?

Sorry for all the questions...
I hope you didn't buy anything yet, but I found the perfect solution, IMO. http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=31352&cat=0&page=1

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Ughh...The link isn't workin' for me, neither its home web page. Could you tell me where/how to find it?

Thanks
It's a T5 2x24 HO fixture by Current USA.

www.championlighting.com

Here's another link: http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_novaXtreme2.htm

But they have it for $10 more. However, you still have to change out one of the bulbs (actinic). It's still better than PC though, I'm sure fellow T5 HO users can chime in about the difference. I'm sure there are plenty of threads on that as well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
YES! It finally worked! I noticed the lamp is designed for saltwater, will it be O.K for freshwater also?

2 times 24 watt, is that high tech or what?

Again, sorry for all the questions...

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
YES! It finally worked! I noticed the lamp is designed for saltwater, will it be O.K for freshwater also?

2 times 24 watt, is that high tech or what?

Again, sorry for all the questions...
It's considered high-tech, especially with the shallow depth of a 20L.

The 10K bulb will work, but the actinic bulb needs to be replaced, it will give out wavelengths of light that plants can't utilize effectively. I'd switch it out for a 6700K or another 10K, but a 6700K/10K combo is nice.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.