The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll be the first to admit that though I tend to do fine with my tanks I still don't know much about lighting. Generally I ask someone tells me and I buy, its worked in the past fairly well but lately I don't seem to be trusting the local store folk as much as I use to. Maybe times have changed, but they just don't seem to know as much as they use to.

No less, my setup thus far wound up becoming a marineland single bright LED fixture with an 18 inche tube fixture that came with the tank. I just replaced the bulb with a Penn Plax FL15 designed for aquatic plants. So I haven't a clue what the lumens is on the penn plax, i tossed the box and don't see it online anywhere but the LED system sits at 300.

So I'm wondering if this is plenty?

Or if anyone knows how well the LED systems are doing at plant growth. Not that it matters, sort of stuck with it now.

But am curious.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See thus why I'm starting to no longer trust people at the aquarium store, they basicly hard sold me the thing going on about how it'd be better than the fixture i had currently and this and that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
more precise, seems its a Penn Plax Aquari Lux FL15

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So basicly a dual T5 fixture would be a good option, well guess i'd have 3 tubes running If I used the single fixture i already have on there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Might have to do that, guy said if i wasn't happy I could return it, with a receipt most mistakes can be undone or corrected. I'll just swing by tomorrow and swap it out for the dual tube setup. Now if i'm not mistaken the T5's are more efficient than the t8's? Guess mostly should I be looking for a dual t8 setup or t5

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Might have to do that, guy said if i wasn't happy I could return it, with a receipt most mistakes can be undone or corrected. I'll just swing by tomorrow and swap it out for the dual tube setup. Now if i'm not mistaken the T5's are more efficient than the t8's? Guess mostly should I be looking for a dual t8 setup or t5
Make sure you look at the fixture, a T5 HO (high output) dual fixture will put you in a high light category, a T5 NO (Normal output) will bring you around low/med light.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well price'll be a factor as well, can't spend too too much. I'll see what they have and go from there. Least I have more information to make an educated by with this round.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Do I understand correctly that the LED system is 300 Lumens? If so, that is terribly weak. For comparison, a 24" T5HO bulb produces something like 2000 lumens. This can be higher or lower depending on reflectors and the exact bulb being used of course.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I might have typo'd the 300 lumens, I forget and well returned the thing today. So after a more educated decision the tank now sits with a dual T5 High output fixture. And well for whatever reason I still have that t8 sitting there but i plan to replace it with a night fixture just cause I like being able to see the changes in the fish behavior at night. Grow plants grow. I miss the generic days of watts per gallons sometimes seemed simpler then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts