The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking a Marineland Bio-Wheel Penguin 100, but I'm still pretty new to this whole thing, and this is the first tank i'm setting up from scratch (the rest were all kits). My tank is a 20 gallon high that will be stocked with guppies (4) and neon tetras (6) and possibly ember tetras + pygmy corys. Oh and snails. Do any of you have experience with this filter? I'm open to suggestions.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I don't have experience with that filter but have used Aquaclears and Seachem Tidal. I really like the tidal because of it's auto prime feature and the skimmer. Also both of these filters have a large compartment that allows you to modify filter media to your liking.

I recently switched to a canister, Sunsun 702, and it's great! I have a 10ish gallon rimless tank and not having a HOB on the tank is visually awesome for me. I also use glass pipes for intake and outake and they are almost hidden from view when looking in the tank.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
I 100% love my marineland internal polisher- ugly as all heck but the best thing I've done for my tank in a long time. Easy maintenance. I've had pretty good luck with marineland products.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Setting up a 20 high myself. I’ve had good luck with the Fluval filters so I purchased a 107 canister.

The bio wheel brings fond memories of older tanks. :) I’m sure the Marineland will work well.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I used to use biowheel tanks many years ago. Inevitably the wheel gets gunk on it and half of it dries out killing the beneficial bacteria on that side. I kind of feel like the wheel part is more gimmick then anything else. Will they work? Sure, most any filter will work. If you do decide to go with a hang on back (HOB) filter then definitely discard the little cartridges they come with immediately. Instead use filter sponge, or plastic pot scrubbers, or even lava rock in the filtration carpment.

I have canister filters on 2 of my 3 tanks at this point and would definitely recommend them if you are willing to spring for the extra money. I have an oase thermo which includes the heater in the filter saving you tank space. I highly recommend them for smaller tanks like this.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I used to use biowheel tanks many years ago. Inevitably the wheel gets gunk on it and half of it dries out killing the beneficial bacteria on that side. I kind of feel like the wheel part is more gimmick then anything else. Will they work? Sure, most any filter will work. If you do decide to go with a hang on back (HOB) filter then definitely discard the little cartridges they come with immediately. Instead use filter sponge, or plastic pot scrubbers, or even lava rock in the filtration carpment.

I have canister filters on 2 of my 3 tanks at this point and would definitely recommend them if you are willing to spring for the extra money. I have an oase thermo which includes the heater in the filter saving you tank space. I highly recommend them for smaller tanks like this.
I can definitely see that. The wheel is a complete X factor. I've had some that are perfect and others that fall apart, there is no consistency. I think you can run them without the wheel, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts