12/25/12:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Setup:

Tank - 24" x 24" x 8"
Lighting - (1) 42w 6500k Spiral Compact Florescent
Filtration - 1 inch PVC Herbie Overflow, Sump
Substrate - Pool Filter Sand
Fauna - Sterbia Cory Cats

I have always wanted to build an aquarium from scratch and have finality gotten around to doing so. I didn't want to make a standard shape or anything too tall on my first attempt so I went with a shallow cube design. I made a scale model to get a feel for what I wanted it to look like. There is a journal of it here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197241

I have started construction on the stand and the tank itself is now complete. I hope to complete the stand this weekend and gather some more materials.
Here is the progress so far:

Tank Assembly:

I have been waiting to use this driftwood. As you can see, it will protrude from the top of the tank by around 18 inches:

Started Work on the stand. It will have a large door on front for easy access to the sump:

Looks like I measured correctly. The tank should fit snugly after I add trim to the stand:

Updates to come...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The stand/cabinet is finished and the base of the hardscape is now complete.

Just trying to get a feel for the hardscape. I ended up moving to majority of the rock and wood slightly forward to its final position.

The stand turned out well.

Added a few more rocks and moved it into its final position.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this tank looks amazing, cant wait too see this thing planted. are you planing on adding plants above water also?
Yes, The majority of the plant mass in this tank will be above the water line. I will be using anubias, riccia, and mosses around the waterline, some vine-like plantings to overtake the wood, and even some tillandsia mounted in the upper branches.

Since the tank will have low light and no CO2, The underwater portion will consist mostly of an easier grass, narrow leaf micro sword, and some crypts.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Sump/Filter is complete.

The water enters the sump in the top right corner. It flows through a series of baffles before turning the corner and heading for the return pump. The pump is rated at 400 gph. I might have to install a 'T' and a ball valve in the return line and reduce the flow.

Filter pads and foam blocks for mechanical filtration. Purigen and some ceramic bio-media in later chambers to polish the water.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry about the crumby camera-phone pics. I forgot to grab my camera last weekend.

Tested the plumbing:

Added the substrate:

Just few plants for now:

There are more plants on the way and I will pick up some cory cats the next time they are in stock. More, better, pics to come...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts