The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some background info:
I got this tank about a year ago, but haven't really set it up until about 2 weeks ago. I put an extra sponge filter on my 10 gallon, that's been running for over a year with one lone platy, and ordered some plants. The plants just came a few days ago, in pretty good condition. I filled the tank up, and added the plants.

Specs:
pH: ~7.8
temperature: 78
lighting: 1 T8 8000k bulb
substrate: 1-2 inches of play sand topped with 1-2 inches of EcoComplete with some gravel from my other tank mixed in :)icon_roll made some dumb newbie mistakes)
flora: amazon sword, ozelot sword, italian val, dwarf sag, marsilea quadrifolia, water wisteria, crypt wendtii, and amazon frogbit
fauna: 6 cherry barbs as of now, planning on adding my platy from my 10 and some other fish

I know that the tank isn't cycled, but I added a sponge filter that's been connected to my HOB in my 10 gallon for 2-3 weeks, so I figure it should be at least 3/4 of the way cycled.

Couldn't resist adding some cherry barbs :), they're supposed to be hardy enough to withstand the cycle anyway...

Pictures!

FTS:

By tfish5 at 2011-08-22

By tfish5 at 2011-08-22

Play sand right after I put it in... not too cloudy :)

By tfish5 at 2011-08-22

The plants layed out on my floor.

By tfish5 at 2011-08-22

In a bucket after washing.

By tfish5 at 2011-08-22

Cherry barbs in the process of being accumulated.

By tfish5 at 2011-08-22

About 2 hours after being added... they just wouldn't hold still! I offered them some flakes and they actually ate them, I figure that's a good sign!

By tfish5 at 2011-08-22

By tfish5 at 2011-08-22

By tfish5 at 2011-08-22

By tfish5 at 2011-08-22

And the Marsilia is growing back after I trimmed it, there's a few little clovers popping up. (it was in it's emersed form when I got it which is why i trimmed it down a lot)

By tfish5 at 2011-08-22

I think it turned out pretty good :icon_bigg I'm loving the Cherry Barbs, they're really colorful and active. Please leave a commnet!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They ate some flakes again this mourning. I'm going to try to see if they'll eat a slice of cucumber today. How long can you leave a peice of cucumber in the tank? Isn't it like 24 hours?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I rearranged some plants and ordered some more, tell me what you think :) I plan to add some more vals to the back left to hide the sponge filter and some stem plants (hygro corymbosa, rotala roundifolia, ludwigia repens, and bacopa m.) either in front of the vals or near the already existing plants. I got a few different types of stems to see what works and what doesn't with my lighting. I also ordered a java fern to replace the amazon sword (it's not looking to good) and some dwarf hairgrass (I'll see if it works).

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.