The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 20 gallon long (30 inches) that I wouldn't mind stocking with a pair of cichlids along with a couple tetras or something of that sort.I am looking for a pair of cichlids that aren't too easy to keep while not being so hard either. The tanks is planted and has a sand substrate with high-tech lighting and a flexable current...

Any Ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have looked into the apistos, but the are hard to find around here and I want a fish that will grow a bit larger than most of them. Would blue rams be O.K in water with a Ph of 8.0? or would I need to buy something to put into my filter for them?

Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I finally stocked my 20. I went over to petsmart and picked up a pair of convicts, they are still fairly small(3/4in) and have hardly any color yet. Does anyone know of a couple possible tank mates?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Still pretty young but you can start to see some orange on the belly, its a female.

If you get a M/F pair you won't be putting any other fish in that tank. My Con pair chase down and try to kill any wayward fry I don't get out after the new brood is hatched. They will kill any fish you put in with them or stress them out enough that they die on their own.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW any advice on taking care of them at this age? Im feeding them Omega Cichlid flake food and freeze-dried bloodworms.

·
Registered
89 Posts
a trio

I don't know if these particular cichlids are like this but in general I read that a trio of one male two females can be a good balance to dispell aggression... so maybe it will all work out! (note: don't try this with humans. :icon_lol: )

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah but when they mate, won't they control the tank and beat up the extra female?

And Im not sure they will all fit in a 20 gallon.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I wouldn't do 3 in a 20L. Most say a 29 gallon for a pair but a 20L has the same footprint just not as high. The 3rd fish would be stressed by the parents, you'd need a bigger tank,maybe 55 if you want to add a 3rd and lots I mean lots of hiding places.

As for taking care of them flakes are good. I also feed mine shrimp pellets,cichlid sticks and cichlid food sticks and sometimes krill.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.