The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could it be possible to hold a 20 gallon long on someone's dresser? If it's sturdy enough?

I have a 56 gallon column aquarium in my living room, and I thought it'd be fun to go all out and get started with another tank in my bedroom, and that'd be a pretty good size for my dresser

·
Registered
423 Posts
Depends on the dresser, I have some I would trust and others I wouldn't. If your really worried about it then its probably not strong enough.

Also if your like me and keep "stuff" on your dresser, ie brushes etc then you might find it annoying n the long run to loose that space.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've been running that same exact setup for 6 years without a problem.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Depends dude. Walmart crap fiberboard furniture will fail 100% of time resulting in much cussing and misery. Solid wood cabinetry will hold. Trial and error may be your best bet though....

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Another note: if the dresser is on a carpet it's most likely not level. I have several tanks on counter-tops and having the water level in the back lower then in the front is pretty annoying. If you do use the dresser, level it first, not the tank.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Had a 10G on my dresser, which seemed sturdy and flat enough. Two years later the tank blew a seam. The top of the dresser had sagged ever so slightly over time with the weight, and was no longer flat.

Perhaps it wasn't as sturdy as I thought. ;)

If I ever do it again, even if I think the dresser is up to it, I will use compliant padding between the tank and dresser to help balance the load should the surface warp. At very least styrofoam. I have some 1/2" thick heavy neoprene foam rubber salvaged from a high-end RV carpeting job, which has proven itself excellent for the task on some other questionable surfaces.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I have kept tanks on dressers.
If it is a long dresser, with 2 sets of drawers, then it will sag. Don't do it. The legs are so far apart that it will sag.
If it is a single set of drawers, that means the legs are closer, then it may hold up just fine. Listen to the warnings posted above.

You might want to re-seal or paint it before exposing it to the moisture of the aquarium.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I keep a 20g long on my dresser and it does fine and even on the carpet is completely level. Mine is an Ikea dresser. It's only one drawer wide though (3 high). The tank fits almost perfect on it. If you don't feel like yours is sturdy, I definitely wouldn't do it. Mine I'm confident in.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Jump on that dresser and sheake the crap out of it. If its sturdy, good to go. That's how I check all my stands.
The imagery here is EPIC!!!! :proud:

I've got 10 gallons on top of the cheap walmart dresser (pressboard) and on top of the really cheap 3 shelf book case, there's a bit of a dip but the one tank has been running on the dresser for over 3 years now with no issues at all!

If it's real wood I'm with steven give it a good work over and see what you think!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.