The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of the hobby for about a year and am starting up a 20 gallon long at our new house. I have Penn Plax 1200 that I was running on a 40 breeder. Would that be too powerful for a 20 gallon long (planted)?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've been out of the hobby for about a year and am starting up a 20 gallon long at our new house. I have Penn Plax 1200 that I was running on a 40 breeder. Would that be too powerful for a 20 gallon long (planted)?
What location do u live in? I mean, what country and if its a continental country, which hemisphere?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What location do u live in? I mean, what country and if its a continental country, which hemisphere?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I fail to see the relevance of your question, but I'm in the United States... NW hemisphere.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
@Felipe , is there a way to reduce the overall flow with your filter? If so then it shouldn't be a problem at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im a newb and what I will say might be way off but I have a 20 long running with an aquaclear 110 which has a higher flow rate than the PennPlax and have no issues.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I thought it had to do with the coriolis effect. Clockwise vs counter clockwise whirlpool effect.

I reached for the keyboard and had to stop myself from my first instinct to respond with something similar, but trying to keep civil I left it at that...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I reached for the keyboard and had to stop myself from my first instinct to respond with something similar, but trying to keep civil I left it at that...
Nothing wrong with throwing ideas into this thread. Trying to help OP out. But yes civil nonetheless. :smile2:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yeah, on the penn plax cascade filters there's a valve on the inflow and the outflow, turn the one on the outflow down to your needs and you'll be good.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah, on the penn plax cascade filters there's a valve on the inflow and the outflow, turn the one on the outflow down to your needs and you'll be good.
Do you know if that makes any difference whether its inflow or outflow to use to restrict the flow?

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Always reduce the output. If you increase the size of the discharge (the termination after the valve) Like with an oversized spray bar, or multiple outlets that will calm things down also. You'll have the same flow but with a larger output area it will have less velocity. As W8INLINE pointed out the Aquaclear 110 has more flow. But it's spilling over a wide discharge so it doesn't induce as much current as the same amount of water pushed through a smaller hose.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome! Thanks everyone. So the plan is:

1. Reduce output flow.
  2. Make the holes in the spray bar larger.

I'm just glad I don't have to deal with the gas exchange issue.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The ACs do have a nice easy flow to them! It's still hard to believe that the AC110 has more flow than that huge Penn Plax canister. Then again, Penn Plax isn't the greatest, but I already have it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts