The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends, I bought a secondhand 20 gallon high marineland led tank and I'm looking to start a planted tank

The thing is I have the led light that came with the tank and I think it's 4.62 watts, 990 lux, 310 lumens (from what I've seen online)....is that enough or too low?

Other places online it says, "Long lasting 60-megawatt LEDs never replace a light bulb again"

As you can tell, I'm pretty confused....If anyone has this same tank and would like to drop some suggestions and help me out, that'd be great. It's a Marineland BioWheel LED aquarium and 20 gallons high, thanks

·
Registered
918 Posts
I don't know a lot about LED's, but I think that is pretty low light. I think there are ways to supplement the lighting on those tanks with extra LED strip lights that suction cup onto the inside of the hood. Perhaps someone else will answer who either owns a tank like this, or has some other suggestions.
My daughter recently bought a Marineland LED hood for her 25 gallon high tank, and I didn't think she would be able to grow plants with it, but she has surprised me by having good growth with hygrophila polysperma, cryptocorne and Java fern. So, your current hood might work with very low light plants.
Good luck and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You can learn a lot by reading the ratings section here: MARINELAND® BioWheel LED Aquarium Kit | Aquariums | PetSmart

Based on that I would just ditch the lid/light and use a new LED light that rests on top of the open top tank. Plus, I would get a good, fully submersible heater instead of the stock one. I don't have a suggestion for which LED light or which heater to use.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yeah, I'd ditch those stock lights and get a Stingray for that tank instead. That will open up your possibilities without risking it becoming an algae farm.

Heaters are a real crapshoot. Just look for those with the best reviews--don't cheap out--and pick the one that appeals to you for whatever reason. Eheim Jagers are nice, probably the most commonly recommended heater around here, and still made in Germany, but these days I just don't know as I've been seeing some complaints lately.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The finnex titanium heaters are the most accurate for the money and durable also I like them because for that tank the heater is also very small and discreet I have seven tanks all heated by finnex titanium heaters the dial is also on the outside of the tank for adjustments which is too cool they come in analog dials, digital or just the heater to hook to a controller I personally have the analog dial ones for all my tanks the 500 watts one is the biggest and I think I paid less than 50$ for that one online GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
49 Posts
The stingray LEDs are made by Finnex, and are a specific model I believe. They are pretty basic as far as LED's are concerned, but are great for low/medium light, low-tech aquariums. My LFS in Lansing has them, but I'm not familiar with stores in the Metro-Detroit area. However, another fixture by Finnex in the <$100 range is the Planted+ and the Planted+ 24/7, also made by Finnex. They will probably cost more than a stingray, but have more LEDs, thus giving you more options when stocking your tank. Furthermore, the 24/7 comes with a remote which allows you to control your light output, and i believe you can adjust the intensity of each color LED, and adjust the intensity of those LEDs to make a daily light schedule, which would help control algae, and provide a more natural light cycle for your plants.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'd give a second vote on getting a better quality heater, the Ehiem-Jagers have a decent track record, I've also heard good things about the Marina, ( not Marineland ) heaters. You'll pay more but the Ehiems have a overheat safety function that will save your fish and plants if their (really reliable BTW..) thermostat malfunctions, Like I said not really likely that it will, cheap heaters on the other hand..

I can't help but think the recommended lights are a bit overkill for someone just starting out. although I'll assume you have the option to dim the better versions of these.

But as a possible replacement you might look at a low-tech, Do-it-Yourself setup like a 5000K PAR38 LED floodlight in a standard screw-in fixture hanging pendant over the tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.