The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My 20 gallon high (hi tech) has finished cycling and I've been slowly introducing some algae eaters (2 amanos, 8 cherries, 3 nerites, and 3 otos currently), and sooner or later it'll be time for fish. My tank has fairly high current, though I guess I could bring it down if necessary (using a Fluval 107, ~120 gph or so). Water temp is at about 75.

I'd like a schooling fish for this tank, preferably one that likes to be a little higher up in the tank; first thought was Harlequin Rasboras, but the LFS suggested against them for the sake of my shrimp colony. Any stocking ideas? This is my first tank over 10 gallons, so an easier fish would be best.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Um your lfs said Harlequin Rasboras are incompatible with cherry shrimp?

I mean, they will eat baby shrimp but so will literally every fish that finds a baby. That said, so long as you have decent number of plants (not like 1 or 2) in your tank your shrimp will find cover till they are too big to be eaten.

·
Registered
70 gallon, 28 gallon, 10 gallon, 10 gallon
80 Posts
Beautiful Tank!
Personally, I have a lot of fun watching Black Neon Tetras eat. Not sure if they'd leave your shrimp alone though. They are some bit bigger than neon tetras
Good Luck and Have fun!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Some of the smaller rasboras would probably work. CPDs, Kubotai, chilis. I have kubotai and chilis in my 55 with blue dreams. They will still eat small shrimp fry if they free swim, but they rarely do anything to the ones in the plants or on the bottom. I've had tetras hunt down anything small enough to fit in their mouth at the bottom of the tank...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Your tank is looking awesome!! I love the carpet with the driftwood poking through like roots. As for fish... I agree with other people's opinions on the rasboras, I have some in a tank with cherry shrimp and they've been peaceful. As for other options, cardinal or black neon tetras would be cool like BlanketHogg suggested. Maybe even some silver tips, or scissor tail tetras, but you could get a nice school in your tank.

One type that might be harder to find locally but would be really cool in your tank would be Dwarf Rainbowfish! Types like the Gertrude’s Spotted Blue Eye Rainbowfish or the Red Neon Blue Eye Rainbowfish

·
Registered
782 Posts
My 20g high is stocked with 2 ghost shrimp, 4 Australian amanos that were supposed to be real amanos, a black rili cherry shrimp that the shop netted by accident when I bought the "amanos", 3 otos, snails (MTS), 6 corydoras hasbrosus, 8 ember tetras, and 9 kubotai rasboras. Everyone gets along fine, and the nano fish have a relatively low bioload so I get to have a nice community in a small package.

I've honestly never had an issue with any of the small tetras or rasboras species bothering my shrimp in the past. Any fish will eat a tiny baby in open water if it can fit it in it's mouth, but they don't actively hunt them and adults are totally safe.

I think a school of harlequin rasboras would look great, though I'm quite partial to my kubotai rasboras since that lime green color is so unusual in schooling fish and their size means you can get a pretty big number in a 20g. They are also pretty hearty for a nano species tolerating a fairly wide range of parameters so long as nitrates are kept reasonable (which you're going to want to do anyway to keep those plants red), and their little mouths can't fit even relatively dinky juvenile cherries so you'd likely have a lot more surviving babies in the colony.

Cardinals would also be gorgeous, or rummynose if you want a tight school, though of course the larger the fish the fewer you can fit comfortably, and I find fish school more effectively in bigger groups.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.