The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 20 gallon high aquarium, rescaped just the other day and I'm thinking it might breed tiger shrimp - any fish suggestions if I decide not to go this route?

I did a gentle dusting of sphagnum/peat under some miracle grow potting soil all over the tank.

I used this pencil holder thing to sift the peat/sphagnum and the miraclegro

Then I put Aquasoil in this area.
And added sand!
Then I added some sand... it was wet, which was odd cause I usually add sand while its dry, but it worked okay.

Then I messed around with driftwood.

And then I put about a pound of cryptocoryne wendtii green in, just floating, and cranked the temperature up to 84 degrees to speed up the cycling.
Speaking of which, does anyone want to buy some wendtii green?

Plants are still tentative - I'm thinking mainly HM around the drift wood, some hydrocotyle verticillata and maybe blyxa, plus some assorted stems.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I think it will look much better when I get some different plants and they are all grown in better.

For anyone wondering, the back of the tank has 5% limo tint applied to it.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven't heard of limo tint being used before.
Yeah it may be a bit unusual but it's perfect for if you want a dark background.
I use frosting on my iwagumi, and that looks great, but for this a dark background seemed better.
I've tinted car windows plenty of times so window tint seemed like an easy way to do it.
You can actually see through it a little which is interesting.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yeah it may be a bit unusual but it's perfect for if you want a dark background.
I use frosting on my iwagumi, and that looks great, but for this a dark background seemed better.
I've tinted car windows plenty of times so window tint seemed like an easy way to do it.
You can actually see through it a little which is interesting.

I've just bought some 5% limo tint for my 10 and 55... great price, seems easy enough to use, though I haven't put it on yet, lol.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've just bought some 5% limo tint for my 10 and 55... great price, seems easy enough to use, though I haven't put it on yet, lol.
I usually get the kit from wal-mart because it comes with a little black squeegee.

But anyway - just get a spraybottle and put a couple teaspoons of dishsoap in it and then fill it with water and shake it up.
You want to spray the tank glass, and both sides of the tint and then apply the adhesive side to the glass, work with airbubbles out from the center with your squeegee - if you don't have a squeegee your hand works okay, but squeegee rules.
The hardest parts are cutting the tint to size after its on, and getting the protective layer off of the tint to reveal the adhesive!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts