The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
That's a long title. Let me explain my concern.
I have a mini-fish room called the Fish Nook (build thread is on this site). All of the display tanks on the mini-rack are 20 gallon longs that have a common arrangement. The water enters one end near the top via fluted inlet... and exists the other end along the top. My concern is that I didn't have much movement in the lower layers, possible lot's of dead spots.

So, I'm testing a Hydor Koralia 240 wave pump at the lower depth (about 3 1/2" off of the substrate), flowing somewhat diagonally accross the 30" lenght of the tank. I shot a very brief video and I'd like a few folks to look at it and offer an opinion about the strength of the water movement it's creating.. Is it too much? An suggestions on lowering it on thse Koralia 240 pumps (it's a 120V ac pump) if it is too much?

My idea is to add one of these to each of the 20 gallon long display tanks (currently four, very soon to be five, and then later 6).

·
Registered
494 Posts
You may want to look into the Fluval U2 internal filter. You have a choice between top, bottom, or in between for water flow direction and it won't create as much flow as the wavemaker. Depending on your fish, they may not like too much flow. They're about the same price as the wavemaker

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You may want to look into the Fluval U2 internal filter. You have a choice between top, bottom, or in between for water flow direction and it won't create as much flow as the wavemaker. Depending on your fish, they may not like too much flow. They're about the same price as the wavemaker
I checked out a review of that Fluval U2 unit. It does have the advantage of having half of the output of the wavemakers. I need to see how big it is physically... they are a little large at 4 wide, 3 1/2" deep and 8" high. It's an option... Thanks for directing my attention to it...

·
Registered
494 Posts
I find them relatively unobtrusive, but I have the larger U3s in a 40 breeder and 75g. I'm setting up a 29g for an angelfish pair. I have a U2 and might use it with a sponge filter. I'll have to take a good look to make sure that it doesn't look like it will be a problem with fry.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought that I would follow-up witht this. Presently I have a Koralia 240 in each of the 6 display tanks in my FishNook. They are set to come on for 5 minutes every hour, with two 4 hour breaks in the nighttime. It works pretty good. Of courfse I've also upgraded my pumps significantly, so I have quite a bit of flow going through the display tanks I see a slight swaying of the plants even at mid level s I know I'm getting decent water movement in the aquariums.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.