The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to upgrade my 10 gal shrimp tank for smthng bigger, I really like 20 gal long, but which would You choose long or high,. for 20 g long, You need to complete everything separate like hood ect.. petstore sell just tanks, and 20g high You easily can buy it as a complete kit

·
Registered
684 Posts
20G long. More of a foot print for the shrimps to graze on. Also more space for shrimp in general since they are on the ground most of the time unlike fish

Petco has their $1/gallon sale soon.you don't need a hood or complete set. Just get the bare tank and load it with substrate and a sponge filter or two with your Choice of canister or hob. Along with a nice led light

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
20 long if you have the space for it, if you have the space you could also go for a bigger tank with a bigger foot print but only relatively more water, like a 33 long or 40 breeder

The shrimp will definitely use more of the surface are of the tank than the volume, however bigger tanks allow bigger plants or more intricate scapes

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I had shrimp climb out of tanks before through a small opening where the airlines were fed into the tank. I since taped that hole shut. A shrimp tank needs a lid. Even if you keep the water level low they will climb up the airlines.
I don't think it matters if the tank is long or tall. I have a 10 gal hex and it is the tank were my shrimp are breeding the most. I would base that decision on the type of plants and decorations I wanted to add.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.