The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am thinking about dividing my 20 gal long red cherry tank in half so the other half i can use for my caridinas, i have to reduce my tank rack to only one, does anyone know what size of glass i would need to use to divide 20 g long? I’ve seen post where ppl say, 12x12, but also 11 1/2 x 11 3/4, its very confusing. It needs to be glass divider bc i use different parameters for neos and caridina, and the other idea is to divide 20 gal in 3 so i will have extra „tank”. Thnx for any help

·
Super Moderator
17,130 Posts
Not every 20gal long has identical dimensions - that's why you see different measurements. The only way to know is for you to measure it yourself. Use cardstock or something similar and cut it down to size trial & error style til you get it right.

That said... you can potentially run into problems with pressure distribution in a tank divided like that. More pressure on one side for whatever reason? Could find yourself with a blowout or a divider going bye-bye. It works most of the time but I've had it happen to me twice and I consider myself skilled at tank stuff like that.

Have you considered just running two 10gal tanks instead of a 20gal long? It'd cost about what you'd be paying for a sturdy piece of glass to be precisely cut and silicone and any supports required when all is said and done. If it were me, I'd get three or four 10gal tanks and run them skinny side facing the front of the shelf. Get a decent air pump that can support multiple outputs and run double sponge filters in the back of each tank.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
20Ls are 30x12x12, hence the original recommendation of 12x12 glass. However, the inner dimensions of each 20L differ like somewhatshocked said, which is why you need to measure. I don't have experience with glass blowouts, but do agree about using 2 10 gallons instead of one 20. I think Petco still might have an online $/gallon sale going on, so it's 20$+tax for 2 10s.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.