The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setting up a new 20 gal planted tank and want some ideas on what I should do. I only have this piece of malaysian wood so far, but I welcome any suggestions. I am thinking of adding building up the right or left side and adding rocks (though not sure exactly what type of rock, any ideas)

Critique away

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm no pro, far from it, but here's what I suggest:

1. Add a background! Black is good, but blue is also popular. I'd stay away from the backgrounds with photos, I think they are tacky.

2. Slope the substrate on the right side of the tank so that it's higher on the right than it is on the left but also slope it higher in the back than in the front. Think: Highest point is back right corner, sloping forward and across so the left front is the lowest.

3. I wouldn't add any more hardscape, I think the less the better. The placement of the driftwood is pretty good (rule of thirds - google it if you've never heard it before).

Good luck!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I realize I need a background haha I wouldnt leave it empty, no worries....Will try the sloping....any other suggestions?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I believe that is seiryu stone (correct me if I am wrong) but generally you wouldn't have driftwood in an Iwagumi layout like the one above. If you want rocks around the driftwood go collect rocks locally since seiryu stone is so expensive. If you were do an Iwagumi setup I think you should invest in the nice, pretty rocks.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm definitely ok with going with a wood free setup....any idea where I can get rock similar to this?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I think there is a store in Canada called AI aquatics or something like that, and they have aquascaping stuff. If they don't Aqua Forest Aquariums would be the next closest, but expect to spend about 120 us $ shipped for them, or even more.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i go rock hunting all the time. it's worth the trip depending on where you live. it's fun finding all the different kinds and knowing you spent the time and energy in finding them. IMO a rock is a rock. it's what you do with it that'll make a really neat scape. just make sure the rock is aquarium safe by doing an acid test on it

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I went looking today....nothing anything remotely close to the jagged look I want....everything is nice and smooth and round in shape....I could take a hammer and chisel though :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts