The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks

I'm thinking of starting a 20 gal planted tank with angels. I have never had angels before. I had some basic questions :)

1. How many can I put in a 20 gal ( I plan to have a few otos ) Long ?
2. I have hard water, from all the reading I have done, that seems to be a potential problem ?
3. I'm also open to plant ideas, I'm not doing pressurized CO2, just a DIY for now. Do I need a lot of open swimming space for the angels?

Oh, and I have a bunch of Glowlights I bred a year and a half ago, anyone who wants them can take them off my hands :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
None in a 20L. It's much to shallow for Angel fish. I have had adult angels that are almost 10" from fin tip to fin tip. A 20L is only 12" tall.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Rex

Oh well ! I was hoping I might be able to squeeze some in , no such luck.

Do you have any other suggestions for a 20L ? I have had terrible luck with GB Rams. Any other cichlids I can try in the 20 L planted?

Thanks!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I would agree in that - everything I've read about angels states that they need a tall tank, not a low one. If you're going with a 20 long, though, there are plenty of other fish that would do great in there. Personally, I just got a 50gl tank for free that I'm waffling over the idea of setting up for angels... I just don't know if it's big enough for adults...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well since an angelfish can't even fit in a 1 gallon bowl, I'd say that rule is nonsense. In fact, you really shouldn't use that rule for any fish, especially angels.

A 20L is definitely too shallow for angels, but how about a pair of apistos? I have a pair of 'double red' apistos and they are very neat little fish. They are somewhat territorial though, so you'd have to keep stocking to a minimum but they are well worth it IMO.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Actually, I believe it's 1 angel per each 10 gallon tank, with a minimum tank size of 20 gallons, but preferrably a 29 gallon.

·
Registered
234 Posts
hey, i would be glad to take the glowlights of youre hands :) my ninety is mostly tetras. as far as the angel in a 20 long i would say a pair. i have collected angels now for years, and seeing as they get pretty large if kept right , two would be a nice touch to a planted tank. in respect of the water? to be honest i have never tested ph nor fiddled with it, but angels arnt as touchy as they seem , i think they would be fine.

jordan

·
Registered
234 Posts
mangala, youre 50 is find for an angel tank, i have had up to 4 GIANT adults in my 45 tall and about 10 smaller angels of all colors and strains.

it is true however that and angel prefers a taller tank , but i used to have a 23 long and i kept my angels in it temp. and they seemed fine. but it is not ideal.

an angel per gallon ? never. that would require to much butter to fit them all in. so 10 angels in a 10 gallon ? good luck. as a general rule for tropical fish its one inch of fish per gallon but its not the best. an angel as mentioned before can get 10 inches high and about 5-7 inches long, monsters to say the least. and again i would simply love to take the glowlights off youre hands.

·
Registered
888 Posts
an angel per gallon ? never. that would require to much butter to fit them all in. so 10 angels in a 10 gallon ? good luck. as a general rule for tropical fish its one inch of fish per gallon but its not the best. an angel as mentioned before can get 10 inches high and about 5-7 inches long, monsters to say the least. and again i would simply love to take the glowlights off youre hands.
I was wondering if it was a typo or not.:biggrin: Definitely no angels in a 20 gallons. Far too small IMO. 18 inches minimum height for angelfish tank.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
joejoeg

I wouldnt mind giving you the glolights, but I've never shipped fish before :( Would prefer giving them away to someone local.

Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
lol no problem i work at the lps there available to me but if you didint need them hey why not. and it must have been a typo its almost scary.lol

jordan

·
Registered
234 Posts
badis badis arnt really a centre piece though there really small and require high maintenance. something a little larger would be nice like a pair of rams or apistos. ever though of kribs? theres some seriously nice ones out there.

jordan.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey folks

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Apistos look like and attractive option. Can I put more than one pair in the 20 L though? Which ones would work for a 20 L ?

I once had an a.cac trio in a 10 g, but one female really harassed the other. I had a spawn too, from that female, but couldnt keep them alive.

As for kribs, never tried them, but they seem to be really big for a 20?

The badis look nice, but not as pretty as the apistos or the kribs (sorry I know I'm superficial when it comes to fish, beauty is scale deep :D )

Thanks again!

·
Registered
234 Posts
kribs ? there like a dwarf SA chiclid ..... only 3 inches , there not big for a 20 , hey you wanted 2 angels right ? a few 3 inchers are fine

jordan

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had a pair of Kribs in a 20L and they were fine. The male gets to about 3-4 inches but the female stays small (about 2"). Add some african tetras and it would be a great tank.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
co2

You know a lot of people say that to me at the sfbaaps, but my water is hard! :( Trust me on that... it is hard and ALKALINE , almost 8.0

PS: Maybe I can run down to your place and get water from you? ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts