The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm sorry if this question has been asked maaaaany times, but I so need to know this ;)

I have a 12L nano tank. First, I put 2 x 20w halogen lights over it. The bulbs were the cheap IKEA ones. My plants didn't like it, however (I use CO2 and macro (EI) and micro so everything else should be okay), Didiplis diandra died and Hemianthus micranthemoides isn't looking too good. Glossostigma seems okay. Well, the IKEA lights seem a little bit yellow, so I thought that might be the problem. Today I bought some Osram Halostars 20w, but when I plugged them in, I couldn't tell any difference at all :(

So, does anyone know if there are some good halogen brands to use in my situation? or is halogen simply just a bad idea for planted tanks... (hope I don't get a yes on this one)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hello!

I'm sorry if this question has been asked maaaaany times, but I so need to know this ;)

I have a 12L nano tank. First, I put 2 x 20w halogen lights over it. The bulbs were the cheap IKEA ones. My plants didn't like it, however (I use CO2 and macro (EI) and micro so everything else should be okay), Didiplis diandra died and Hemianthus micranthemoides isn't looking too good. Glossostigma seems okay. Well, the IKEA lights seem a little bit yellow, so I thought that might be the problem. Today I bought some Osram Halostars 20w, but when I plugged them in, I couldn't tell any difference at all :(

So, does anyone know if there are some good halogen brands to use in my situation? or is halogen simply just a bad idea for planted tanks... (hope I don't get a yes on this one)
Halogen runs along the same lines as incandescent bulbs, being very inefficient. You are better off getting a fixture that can hold a 20ish watt compact fluorescent bulb, as the color (and probably the spectrum) will be much better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, halogen lights get very hot, and are only a little more efficient than fluoros. AHSupply has a 2x13watt PC kit that would work pretty well for that setup, I think...

·
Are these real?
15,726 Posts
Hi Marya, cute cat you got there! :icon_bigg

I don't think those little halogens are that bad of an idea for a small tank. Yes they produce way more heat than a comparable fluorescent bulb, but we are talking about 2 x 20 Watts, not a huge issue.

If you have a 12 LITER tank (around 3 gallons) the 40 Watts of Halogen light should be plenty! There could be many other reasons why some of your plants don't grow. Don't go too fast throwing those bulbs out and replacing them with huge amounts of fluorescent light. Some plants are just finicky and you might be better off selecting rewarding plants for your tank rather than trying to make every demanding plant happy. ;)

There are halogen bulbs nowadays that are in the 5000 to 6500K range, which is crisp white. Not sure where you can get them, but they should be available if you do a bit searching. That would get rid of the yellow cast if that bothers you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, thank you all :)
Unfortunately my cute cat died when he was only one year :( From a rare and deadly disease. So besides being a blog for cat owners with handicapped cats (my cat was deaf), the blog is also a memory of a cat. My first cat.

I will try to find those 6500k halogen lights. If not possible, then I will reconsider whether I should get some other lighting or get some easy plants...

T5 compact flourescent...I've been there with a 33 gallon (? 128L!). It was nice, but I took a lot of fights with all kinds of problems... *sigh* well, it was my first tank though, so what can you expect... I learned a lot from that tank ;)

For the time being I just want a small fairly easy tank. I thought halogen lights could work, but maybe I was wrong... Didiplis hates it, that's for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts