The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 tiger barbs left in my tank when i stupidly decided that only having 4 in a 12 gallon would be fine. It was good for a couple months, but I woke up and one was missing a stomach, and then another one went through the same thing. My biggest guy is getting hit by karma and is getting destroyed by the smaller one. I don't want the tiger barbs anymore because I want to add either apisto's or bolivian rams to my 29, but the Petsmart and Petco and Aquarium Adventure will not take them because they could be diseased. I also don't have the knowledge or supplies to ship them to a user on the SnS. What would you guys do in this situation? I'm capable of euthanizing the one getting beat up constantly because he is slowly dying, but the new bully will be by himself destroying the other fish in my tank. I feel bad killing him, but I really don't know what to do with him. Someone helpp! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Hold a trial, being sure the accused has competent counsel. Consider the evidence, render a verdict, carry out the sentence.:icon_cool

I'm not just being flip here. One tiger barb won't live long anyway, since those fish have to have the company of several of their species to survive their own fears. You will do both of those barbs a favor by "doing the right thing". Just be happy you didn't pay $25 apiece for them.

I just put 10 Tiger Barbs in my tank, and they seem to feel at home there, with no nipping, no mad chases trying to destroy one another. I'm ready to concede that you need more than 6 of those at a time. My previous history with them was like yours.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hold a trial, being sure the accused has competent counsel. Consider the evidence, render a verdict, carry out the sentence.:icon_cool

I'm not just being flip here. One tiger barb won't live long anyway, since those fish have to have the company of several of their species to survive their own fears. You will do both of those barbs a favor by "doing the right thing". Just be happy you didn't pay $25 apiece for them.

I just put 10 Tiger Barbs in my tank, and they seem to feel at home there, with no nipping, no mad chases trying to destroy one another. I'm ready to concede that you need more than 6 of those at a time. My previous history with them was like yours.
Yeah, they're supposed to be in groups like that, but I decided to completely ignore that and take my chances. Unfortunately, I'm not better than nature, so I lost. Did you really have to pay $25 a tiger barb? I thought paying $18 for 9 neon tetras was bad, but that is a little extreme. I feel bad having to get rid of them because of a careless mistake I made. The trial will begin sometime in January:icon_conf. Depends on when my tank is ready to hold a pair of bolivian rams.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Yeah, they're supposed to be in groups like that, but I decided to completely ignore that and take my chances. Unfortunately, I'm not better than nature, so I lost. Did you really have to pay $25 a tiger barb? I thought paying $18 for 9 neon tetras was bad, but that is a little extreme. I feel bad having to get rid of them because of a careless mistake I made. The trial will begin sometime in January:icon_conf. Depends on when my tank is ready to hold a pair of bolivian rams.
No, my barbs cost about $4 each - I have never paid $25 for a tropical fish since I had a very sad experience with my only salt water tank many years ago. But, your experience could have been much worse if you were dealing with expensive fish, like discus or some other cichlids, for example. That's what I was referring to and it is why I refuse to pay that much for fish now.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Have you tried advertising them on a free ad site or in a free ad paper? You guys in the US have Craigslist don't you? We don't have that here in the UK but do have similar. Even if you advertise them as free to a good home. I keep tiger barbs and if I saw an ad like that I'd probably respond, keep them in quarantine for a few weeks then add them to my existing school. Its worth a try - you might find someone who would do that

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, my barbs cost about $4 each - I have never paid $25 for a tropical fish since I had a very sad experience with my only salt water tank many years ago. But, your experience could have been much worse if you were dealing with expensive fish, like discus or some other cichlids, for example. That's what I was referring to and it is why I refuse to pay that much for fish now.
I was going to say, if you payed $25 for a tiger barb, that's just an extreme case of inflation at its finest. I want to get a bolivian ram or a pair, but the tiger barbs are holding me back. I'm almost at the point where I'll let the boss kill the one tiger barb and I get rid of the other one so i don't have to kill both myself. its really aggrivating. what did you do with yours?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the article, i don't have a store with clove oil around, nor do i want to cut off its head. the freezer is where they will be going once i find the courage to do it. they are beautiful fish, but they are way too aggressive and I don't want to risk my other fish's lives.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
When I had them years ago, they took care of the euthanasia themselves. The lone survivor looked around, saw no fish to accompany him on his rampages, no fish to attack, nothing but a tank all to himself. That was too much for him to bear, so he only lasted about a week after that. The 10 I have now are still acting like good citizens.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why can't you give them away?
My friends aren't into fish keeping and no stores are willing to accept them because they could bring a disease into their already disease filled tanks. I know my uncle has them and I got in touch with him, but he said that his tank was just about fully stocked. he's been keeping fish for over 50 years so I'm not going to second guess him. Trust me, if I was able to give them away, I would have already.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I had them years ago, they took care of the euthanasia themselves. The lone survivor looked around, saw no fish to accompany him on his rampages, no fish to attack, nothing but a tank all to himself. That was too much for him to bear, so he only lasted about a week after that. The 10 I have now are still acting like good citizens.

I'm glad they're all behaving for you. The only difference in our situations is that I have cories and tetras in my tank and my tank is about to finish cycling, so I want them to be as happy as possible.

·
Banned
217 Posts
i guess Im just heartless...I see fish as FISH...
especially since TB cost about $3-4 a pop...so not much monetary loss

and I agree...I couldnt spend that much money per fish because if a storm comes and knocks out the power...thats A LOT to lose...or if I do something dumb and have to pay a stupid tax...

anywhoo...theres plenty of ways to kill an unwanted fish. I say try to give it away and if youve exhausted all your options...boil, bake, suffocate, freeze, poison, or feed to something bigger...w/e

...lets be adults here. fish are cool and all, but no one can hear them scream...now when my cats and dogs had to be put down over the years...YES TLC all the way...

but my fish? Ive pretty much done ALL the things they say are inhumane including...dumping into ice cold water, poisoning with ammonia, dumping down the toilet...or just introducing a larger fish jus for the hell of it

...and I still :sleep::sleep::sleep: soundly at night

1 - 13 of 13 Posts