The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
I'm very new to planted tanks. I want to set up a 10g. I have a tank hood that has two sockets for normal bulbs. I plan on puting in two spiral bulbs each with 18w. These are the day light bulbs. If I do the math that's 18x2=36w. 36w/10g=3.6wpg. I know that this general rule does not work on 10g. Has anyone done this? What intensity does this amount to? low? mid? high?:help:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply....i'm thinking about getting shirmps too. :D :D :D But in regards to the plants that I can gorw, is this mid or high intensity light?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
This would be on the high side, I would think. Are you planning on injecting CO2? If not, you might run into algae problems. I am running two 15 W t8's on my 10 with no CO2, but I run only one for the full photoperiod, and I add in the second one for 4 hours of "high noon" lighting.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
2wheelsx2, myjohnson's fixture probably does not have a reflector if at all,
and don't forget spirals get dimmer over time like any other compact bulb.
I think 2x18w is great, just try to get a long rectangle bulb not a round
spiral bulb as the heat from a spiral bulb could melt a plastic hood fixture.
you'll notice on my 10gal I use a 30w spiral in a single cone hood fixture.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
in regards to co2, will be setting up the pressurized bottle soon...maybe by the end of next week if all goes well.:D :D :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have 2x23 watts CF and 1x15W power-glo fluorescent tube on my 14 gallon...same footprint, just a little taller. I find I can grow anything, and with some DIY yeast CO2, I have never fertilized or had algae problems as soon as the tank matured.

I find the lower wattage CF bulbs are really red/yellow. I like the 23W as it is white light.

Adam

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
spy,
i actually have refectors on it..:bounce:

to all,
What is the highest wattage possible on a spiral bulb?:D :D

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I've seen some in Home Depot that were like 100 actual watts, not the equivalent. They were huge.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I find the lower wattage CF bulbs are really red/yellow. I like the 23W as it is white light.

Adam

It's not the wattage that determines the light, but the light temperature of the bulb. The new "daylight" 9 watters are super white, like noon daylight.

I think the highest wattage would be 23, but you might have problems fitting them in there, as they are a bit, well, bulbous. :D Might run into a heat problem too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's not the wattage that determines the light, but the light temperature of the bulb. The new "daylight" 9 watters are super white, like noon daylight.

I think the highest wattage would be 23, but you might have problems fitting them in there, as they are a bit, well, bulbous. :D Might run into a heat problem too.
I'm running a 20" incandescent hood with 2x23s Sylvania Craft Light (5500K) Spiral Compact Flourescents over a glass hood. They do kick off a lot of heat. When I had them over a 10 gallon, they reliably raised the tank tmp 4 to 5 degrees F. Now I have them over a 20 High, and they still get warm, though not warm enough to melt the hood. I also had to prop them up on a 1/2" plastic rectangle (cut from a spare 24" hood) to keep the bulbs off the glass.

In order to get the bulbs to fit, I had to remove the reflector. I painted the inside of the light gloss white to make up for it. In a 20 gallon, it's not really enough light to grow any carpet plants, but my swords and pennywort and hygro and cabomba love it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Wow...I didn't realize that they make those really big ones now. I need some of those for my garage. :D

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
well i know myjohnson and the bulbs he has are 5500k 14w but after looking at the fixture there could be some modifications done so that it could accept a larger light if needed or a third socket can be installed.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have some new thoughts on this. I have been running 30 watts with 2 t8 fixtures on my 10 gallon, and once I got the plant mass up and started dosing Excel once a week, I am having no problems whatsoever with algae. Here's my thread:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/photo-album/40545-new-me-10g-work.html

I am running one light for 9 hours and both lights for 4 hours. 2.5 mL of Excel once a week. That's it. I do have 3 Amanos and 10 - 15 Cherry shrimp in there to help though.

So anyway, the short of it is that I think two spirals bulbs should be fine if you keep the plant mass up and possibly help it alone with some Excel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts