The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple questions about my new algae eating friends... I've kept otocinclus before, but they all eventually died, and i obviously don't want that to happen again.

Question number one... They seem to like to hang out in my overflow for my sump. It's a small space, but if i take them out, they go back in there. Should i try to convince them to stay out (block it with a sponge or something), or should I just let them stay in there?

Question number two... they utterly demolished the brown algae i had going in my tank, and i'm now trying to augment their diet using algae wafers, but they're not all that interested in the wafers... I'm turning up my lights to hopefully create an abundance of algae as a stopgap until i find a food that they like... do you have any recommendations?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Answer to your Question# 2:

My Otos absolutely love zuccini. I slice them up and save them in my freezer and put a slice in the tank every few days ... attached to a metal clip that will hold it down on the substarte. They will not touch it for the first day or so ... until it kinda softens ... and then they eat with gusto. They seem to like cabbage leaves too.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
They will get exhausted if they stay in the overflow box. I made a very loose 'slipcover' for the inside overflow box to keep fish out and it works. It needs to be loose so water can flow from underneath if the top part gets clogged. Long ago I tried lining the slots with something and it clogged within a day. I used some plastic window screening and nylon upholstery thread so it will take a good long time to fall apart. The fish like picking at the stuff that collects on it almost as much as they like picking at the prefilter sponge that is in the tank.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Mine like to hang out near the intakes and exhaust of my filters, I think it just because it's dirty and there is something to eat, I never feed mine and they seem to get along fine but I did try the zuccinni once but nobody touched it. My tank is pretty clean but not spotless like some of the tanks I see here, I think they photoshop out the dirt, but it may just be enough for them to eat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.