The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie to planted aquariums and I am on a budget plus unemployed so all my aquarium are low tech, natural sunlight, no ferts. I've just had an idea recently about a little planted cube on my computer desk. I thought it'll make the desk unique. So I took one of my mom's gardening fertilizer cubes and planted local plant species with worm casting from my backyard.

Notice that I don't buy any of my plants. They are all collected from local lakes, rivers, creeks, ditches. The substrate is soil straight from my backyard. I collected the top inch, where worms drop off their castings. It gets one hour of direct sunlight before noon, then it just gets reflected light off the wall for the rest of the day.

Plants are; Ludwigia, hairgrass reed, and unidentified pond weed. Photos were taken before noon for best lighting. I am thinking of adding 2-3 little local fish to add co2. Cube is one week old

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Looks cool, I have a large ditch\pond that is right by my house that fills up for 4 or 5 months a year. This year I did something like your cube by putting some plants and pollywogs from the ditch\pond in a small aquarium but dicieded to take it apart and do something else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I've actually never bought any plants from the store, and never used any artificial lighting. I'm probably the lowest tech, cheapest guy you know. I also prefer to keep local plants and fishes more than fancy pets.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I also prefer to keep local plants and fishes more than fancy pets.
I sorta do to, but where I live in Wisconsin their arent many cool plants or fish. (except crawdads!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sorta do to, but where I live in Wisconsin their arent many cool plants or fish. (except crawdads!)
Are you kidding? I live in CA, but when I came up to Minnesota, I saw some plants that we don't have down here. Like wild Eel Grass, rotala......Well we don't have those two down here, and I haven't observe the lakes close enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.