The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Fresh after a trim. I need to get good photos ASAP.
This is the latest picture from the tank. Look below to see from the beginning and enjoy.

First Aqua Journal here. I probably won't be teaching a lot of you much, but I will take your comments as lessons.

Equipment:

Komoda Skyclear 60x60x60 (2 foot cube)
Custom made wooden stand with CADE light stands
Ecotech Marine Radion XR30W Pro light
Eheim 2076 electronic filter
DiCi stainless steel filter pipes
Keg King 16 amp temperature controller
Hydor 300w inline heater
Kamoer 4 channel dosing pump with containers
DiCi CO2 regulator, solenoid, and bottle
Milwaukee Meters MC122 pH controller
Cooling fan
CalAqua Black Earth substrate

Flora:
Eleocharis Belem, Amazon Sword, Ambulia, Rotala Wallichii, Hemianthus Micranthemoides, Pogo Helferi, Alternanthera "mini", Blyxa Aubertii, Rotala Macaranda 'variegated', Tonina Fluviatilis, Eriocaulon Parkeri, Ludwigia Repens

Fauna:
5x Pearl Gouramis
2x Harlequin Rasboras
2x Betta Splendens
2x Peppermint Bristlenose Plecos
3x Siamese Algae Eaters

Start of the journal......
The stand:

The stand was custom made by a cabinet maker to match the rest of the furniture in the room. As you can be seen, it is next to a bed so silence is key! I was considering going the sump route, but I decided to just go canister as I am new to sumps and wasn't sure just how quiet it would be.

When the tank arrives at the supplier's, I will go get it from him. This is all a patience game. I am doing this tank properly, with all the right equipment. My end goal is to have it as low maintenance as possible (while still being hi-tech) so I can enjoy the artwork inside the glass panels as I feel that is something a lot of us forget about sometimes.

More to come.....

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
nice cabinet, looking forward to the tank, cubes are a lot of fun.

Good idea with the canister as opposed to the sump, as they can be pretty noisy. Get a nice eheim and you won't even know that it is running.

good luck!

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
+1 on Ehiem canister! have two under the desk I am at now, don't even remember they are there unless I bump one with my foot. They cost a little more than some brands but its worth every penny. By comparison I have a sunsun cansiter (cheap brand)... it hums more than you (or anyone) would tolerate at that close range.

Look forward to seeing the tank and scape you come up with! Any ideas on what flora or fauna you want in there yet?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will go an Eheim. I always have and I won't change in the foreseeable future.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
I got a 2075 running on my 2 foot cube, no complains.

With that footprint and depending on the fish and plant stocking, surface agitation is something to pay close attention too.

Looking forward to see what you do with yours - I am always looking for ideas to steal :).

v3

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a feeling this one is going to be epic! Will be following it closely; subscribed. :)

Edit: I also second the Eheim suggestion. I've got one on my 12g here in my bedroom and I never hear it making any noise.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tank is in and waiting. It is a Komoda Sky Clear 2 Foot cube. The low iron glass looks awesome but it doesn't show up in the photos. The glass is 10mm thick.

My slowly growing Zippo collection got into the pictures too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I transferred some stuff from the tank I am slowly taking apart. They are the dosing pump (Kamoer 4 channel pump), fertiliser containers, co2 regulator with solenoid and bottle (DiCi), and temperature controller (Keg King 16amp).

And the new shiny parts that I am very excited about- Radion Ecotech XR30w Pro and Cade light stand.

The temperature controller is a handy little device. It is the black box in the photos and is currently sitting sideways and unplugged. I am trying to work out how to fit all the equipment into the cabinet so it is neat and tidy. The device has two sockets at the back; one for heating and one for cooling (it is made for brewing beer). I will have the Hydor Inline 300w plugged in for heating and a fan for cooling (but it is Winter at the moment here, so there will be none for now). The device can be set for a desired temperature and turns the devices on or off to hold that specified temperature. You can also give it room to move. I set the temperature at 25 degrees Celsius (77 F) and allowed it to give 0.3 C (0.54 F) fluctuation before it heats or cools. This helps give the temperature a little bit more precise and stable.

The dosing pump has been around in my other tank for experimenting and waiting for this tank. This was done because I wanted to do as little daily care for the tank as possible and I love the reliability of the system.

I am currently dosing with the following:

Container 1, per litre:
Potassium Nitrate (KN03)- 65g
Monopotassium Phosphate (KH2P04)- 6g
Potassium Sulfate (K2S04)- 59g
Magnesium Sulfate (MgS04)- 41g
Dosing 6mL a day just as the lights turn on.

Container 2, per litre:
Micronutrient Mix from AquaGreen- 80g
Dosing 6mL a day just as the lights turn on.

Container 3, per litre:
Seachem Flourish Excel- 1 litre
Dosing 10mL a day just as the lights turn on.

I am planning on using the 4th pump for experimenting specific nutrients in the future and seeing how they effect plant growth.

The light is amazing. So many configurations and it is BRIGHT. Nice sunrise and sunset features. I am always changing these at the moment, so won't bother putting what I have at the moment. I also have to fix the hanging kit for the light as the Cade hanging kit had to be retrofitted and it it is quite ugly at the moment. I'll come up with something cleaner. The white box in the cabinet is for the light in case you were wondering.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Wow sweet set up. I'm liking the dosing. Will be great to lay in bed and stare at the tank. I"d make the right side the front. LOL

·
Registered
349 Posts
That's a very good looking tank.

It would make a sweet art piece standing alone somewhere with a pendant light hanging from the ceiling and the electrical hidden.

360 views of rimless tanks are the best.

I have the 30G.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'd seen a similar tank in a shop in NYC and thought it'd be great to have one , but...no room , so I'll be living vicariously through your build . Incidentally , keep the room locked , it seems your tank has grown legs

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
That size looks even more impressive in person. My wife's first words on seeing the tank in our house "Oh, it's huge".

At 60g, it is.

v3

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the comments everyone. The tank does look quite big at first (it is the biggest tank I have had to date), but I am getting used to it and it makes me want something bigger! When does it stop?

I have a little bit more work to do on it this afternoon, and I will have pictures up tonight.

Stay posted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Work is done. It was faster that I expected.... I guess I am getting good at this. I have a good feeling about this scape.

Filter is ready to go (Eheim 2076). It was from their electronic range- I got it because of the 12h function where you can have high flow for 12 hours, then low flow for the other 12 (low flow at night for when I want to sleep, as it can't be heard).

Cabinet open. I hate that Eheim green... I think Eheim keep making their pipes that colour as an ongoing joke. I was thinking about glass, but I think I will go stainless steel for the lower maintenance factor.

That is a big filter!

I will make this look cleaner and tidier soon.

Dosing pump tubes straight and even. I found a nice acrylic tube holder too. Very tidy look I think, but I would prefer clear thumb screws.

Some cable organisers I found at the hardware store to keep everything neat and tidy.

CO2 line.

CO2 Controller (Milwaukee Meters MC122). Hopefully help keep the CO2 levels stable. This is new to me and I wanted to try it out.

CO2 diffusor. I like this metallic look.

Brushed aluminium.

I did a terrible job here. I am thinking of using some thick fishing line to tidy it up.

The light posts.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
The hardware is in place and is looking good.
Eheim 207x are shipping with Eheim dark grey inflow / outflow kits in US...
The defuser is looking sexy, I have not seen them here in US. You might want to position it under the filter's outflow.

Doing water changes next to bed can be fun, especially when you forget to turn the flow down.

v3

1 - 20 of 52 Posts