The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 Fluval 3.0's on top of a 75 gal, they won't be raised, just laid across the top to maximize PAR. CO2 injection. Will this work to grow nice red plants? Not looking to grow anything crazy high light but I want some nice reds. Thanks for any tips or advice:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have 2 on my 72g bow. Seem to work ok. Nothing too fancy. With co2 and ferts of course.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Hard to say. I put 2 fluval 3.0 on my 120 which is both wider (24 vs 18 inch) and taller (24 vs 21). I didn't have much luck with red plants in the tank but the green stuff grows great (java fern is not a small plant ;) ). I've tried a few red plants - stem stuff did ok once it got off the ground but lower stuff never really did that well. Green plants of course did fine - various swords quickly grew 24 inch - but my purple aflame is really struggling. Right now other than the purple aflame i don't really have anything delicate in this tank as i gave up and now that the tank is mature i have a bit of problem with covering on top (the jungle val which i trim to 18 inches every 2 to 3 weeks usually ends up covering the entire top (approx 5 to 7 feet long leaves). Here is a picture (the java fern is really quite massive covering a 1footx1foot area in the front right) - if you look very carefully (not visible in picture) there are 10 or 15 kuhli loaches in that java fern mess:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Corvus Oscan has a 240 gallon of 8'x24"x24" and uses four Fluval 3.0's His plants look good..but they are not as dense as what you see on smaller tanks with some kind of ADA like lights. I think he just wants them to be algae free on the lower light levels while still getting good growth. He also "cheats" by having no fish in that big tank...just shrimp. He had put in like 100 Rummy noses two years ago and they do what tetras usually do- die off within a year.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
2 Fluval 3.0's on top of a 75 gal, they won't be raised, just laid across the top to maximize PAR. CO2 injection. Will this work to grow nice red plants? Not looking to grow anything crazy high light but I want some nice reds. Thanks for any tips or advice:)
Hi @TacomaToker, One Fluval 3.0 with all channels running at full output will provide [email protected] at the substrate level (2"-3" deep) through an Aqueon Versa-Top. PAR eadings are reasonably even front to back and side to side taken will Apogee Quantum MQ-510 PAR meter will latest software updates. Below is my tank with just one (1) Fluval 3.0 fixture. Two fixtures will provide a little over [email protected] which should be more than sufficient to make most red plants show very good color. Yes my tank below has CO2. -Roy

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use one 3.0 on my 60 gallon. It’s 4ft long, 15 inches wide and 18 high.

Light is raised 3 inches. Substrate is also 2.5-3 inches.

At 60% power, I get just just about every plant in there turning deep red. It’s only on for 5.5 hours too. I do have ferts and co2.

Seems to me you should easily be able to do this just laying on top with two, and could probably do it just with 1 in most areas of the tank and east to moderate plants.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use one 3.0 on my 60 gallon. It’s 4ft long, 15 inches wide and 18 high.

Light is raised 3 inches. Substrate is also 2.5-3 inches.

At 60% power, I get just just about every plant in there turning deep red. It’s only on for 5.5 hours too. I do have ferts and co2.

Seems to me you should easily be able to do this just laying on top with two, and could probably do it just with 1 in most areas of the tank and east to moderate plants.
Awesome, could you post a pic of your tank?

I run 2 Fluval 3.0's on a 75-gallon discus tank. It is a good combination for plants that are not high maintenance.
Any pictures of your tank?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.