The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Definitely not an expert, so take this with a grain of salt...

I have a 22 long, so 36x12x12 but with one of the same light.

I've found myself consistently lowering the lighting level to combat staghorn algae. I can't be sure it's directly related or if it's a different problem, but it seems to have stagnated now that I've gone down 5 clicks from full bright.

·
Registered
89 Posts
How long do you turn your lights for? Do you use the predetermined 24/7 setting? Honestly, after adding that second light, my plants have been doing great. My amazon sword throws out a new leaf every three days. Even the java fern is starting to produce offpring and the carpeting plants have started to grow.
No, I customised the 24/7. It's on from 9-9 but very low for the first and last 3 hours. I initially had it on max from 12-6, but have since lowered that to 5 clicks below max.

My plants are doing great! Monte Carlo is carpeting nicely, dwarf hairgrass is sending out new shoots constantly.

The new plant growth is healthy and algae free, so I'm wondering if it's just a matter of letting the tank age.

My rocks and bonsai tree are growing staghorn on the edges though, so that's why I've been lowering the light and upping CO2.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts