The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
That first link (image) seems to have the red and yellow portions of the chart switched around.

You can see that the values on the right hand side of the chart show low CO2 concentration, yet according to the legend, it is "too much CO2"

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That first link (image) seems to have the red and yellow portions of the chart switched around.

You can see that the values on the right hand side of the chart show low CO2 concentration, yet according to the legend, it is "too much CO2"
Yes thanks for the observation

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you're not adding CO2, you have around 3 ppm of CO2 (atmospheric equibibrium), no matter what charts tell you. All the charts assume no buffers except kH, this tends to be wrong in a number of aquariums. If you are adding CO2 better to compare tank pH with pH of tank water after it comes back to equilibrium. A difference of 1 pH unit comes out to approximately 30 ppm of CO2, half a unit would be 15 ppm. Most like to use a drop checker.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Am using a dupla permanent drop checker. When I add the reagent to the aquarium water it turns green even before before I installed pressured co2 system when I used to use tablets.

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
Am using a dupla permanent drop checker. When I add the reagent to the aquarium water it turns green even before before I installed pressured co2 system when I used to use tablets.
You are not supposed to use aquarium water (despite what the instructions tell you).

You should use a reference solution with a known kH, where carbonates are the only contributing species. The most commonly used reference solution is one of 4 dkH.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts