The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 120g I am most likely going to convert from reef to planted.

The tank is drilled in the back, and I would like to utilize one hole (1" bulkhead) for a main drain, and the other 1" bulkhead for a return. But I want to use 2 Eheim 2217s as filters.

Would merging the 2 outlets, using a Y going into 1" pipe, harm the output significantly?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
For me, hard to say. Assuming you would be doing the same for the 1" drain, I wonder if the intake will keep up with your output? You can always adjust on the lines if you use the quick connects I guess. I don't think it will affect it too much. The output hose size is fairly small.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For me, hard to say. Assuming you would be doing the same for the 1" drain, I wonder if the intake will keep up with your output? You can always adjust on the lines if you use the quick connects I guess. I don't think it will affect it too much. The output hose size is fairly small.
There is a chart that estimates siphon flow at 725gph on 1" sch40 at 4 feet...but that does not account for friction or the fact that it isn't really a free flow siphon.

I asked this on a reef forum as well....one person says they will fight each other flowwise, another says it will work.

Maybe one large canister is more ideal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Curious why you want to go with canisters rather than a sump since the tank is already drilled?
I am kinda tired of the sumps :)

The tank is setup for a siphon overflow, where it ahs 3 holes...one for siphon, one for a slight excess trickle leftover from siphon, and an emergency.

I miss the under the tank storage, I run my cords through the wall into the basement, as I do not like saltwater and electrical outlets near each other, but doing that as I do may not even be 100% to code.

What would be a good alternative to canisters by sing a sump? I want to inject co2...so would a wet dry be out of the question? I need dead silence as well.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would go with sump as well. I don't think 2-2217s is adequate for that tank size anyway. I use one on my 29g.

Sent with my Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

I have two 2217's from a 75g planted tank I did a few years ago....this is another 50 gallons though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe I can stick with a sump....just ditch the 40g breeder I use now and go with smaller. My main issue with a sump was with saltwater splashing, since it is very open. I can maybe run a sealed sump, and still have a foot and a half or so in the stand for equipment.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=130344

I run that same overflow...just not as pretty as that one :eek:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like a shopvac on steroids :D

I am going to think this out a little more......the option of keeping a sump is seeming a little more appealing. Minus all the crap that comes with a reef tank...skimmers, fuges, dosers, GFO reactors, carbon reactors, etc....a sump for a planted tank seems almost fun

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
LOL @ shopvac on steroids

Nice thing about going with an OC is that they'd still be a closed circuit so no issues outgassing CO2.

I know that CO2 can be done with sumps, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On my tank I'm running n eshopps r200. I have a mr. aqua powerhead diffuser in the main chamber. This along with the bubble catcher and passing though a sicce syna 4.0 will diffuse the CO2 very well. I dont have a lot of CO2 lose with this set up. BTW I just redid my layout and will finish it after i ge my dozen pots of DHG in on Tuesday!

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/Kodi_Giallombardo/image1_zps8eb930c4.jpeg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/Kodi_Giallombardo/image2_zpsd4b9e1fa.jpeg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/Kodi_Giallombardo/image_zps14ce1e0c.jpeg

·
Registered
492 Posts
I see no problem putting using a Y to join the two canisters. Since their flow will be doubled you'll want to use a larger pipe so you'll have to adapt each line to the larger pipe before the Y or you will end up restricting the flow. Since the flow from an Eheim isn't that strong in the first place you probably want to avoid that. The outflow can only be as much as what the inflow will provide so there is no concern about it's ability to "keep up", but you will want to avoid any unnecessary flow restriction on either end.
The alternative would be to hook them up in series as opposed to parallel as they would work that way too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.