The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Planted Tank People!

I was lucky enough to find a guy on Aquabid selling Betta Rubras that he is breeding last month, and upon checking out his profile I found out he lives about an hour and a half from me! So I contacted him and he had some nice pairs left and made a deal to meet up with him the following week to get 2 pairs from him at a good price to boot! Well to make a long story short we wound up not being able to meet up, so we split priority shipping, and they were here in 1 day!

They have been in a 20g since 5/17 setup like he had them with a bare bottom, 3pc. PVC caves.I added bunch of Hornwort, and a Fluval 205 with the flow slightly turned down since I didn't have a sponge filter ready to go, and he was using tapwater but was unsure of its hardness, so I used 50/50 Tap to R/O since our tap is Liquid Rock and has a TDS of 540 (tested the day the fish arrived!!!) And I keep them at a Temp at 75* F.

They were 7 months old when they arrived, and were allready showing breeding behavior, and the 4 fish quickly split into 2 pairs and each pair picked a set of Caves for them selves! I only got to see the females in their bland single horizontal stripe light brown/grey color for a day or so! Ever since then they have been RUBY RED to Ruby Black in color, and constantly trying to get the males to breed!!! The Males have had many color phases, but their colors have been getting more and more like you see in the pics of thier breeding colors every day! Don't get me wrong they are very colorful, but their red is getting more intense every day!

They are eating Frozen Bloodworms, and Frozen Brine Shrimp Spirulina enriched from Omega one, as well as crushed New Life Spectrum pellets. They have been placed in a quite corner of the livingroom as they are pretty shy and don't like a lot of activity around their tank! It took them about 2 weeks to get used to me being their new feeder/owner! Now they are used to me and will stay out when I am around the tank, but when my wife comes to watch or feed they will hide till the food floats close, then they slowly come out!!!

Well tonight I was feeding and one of the males didn't come to eat, so I was searching for him, and I found him hiding in the Hornwort, and HE IS HOLDING!!!!!! I have seen them spawning since the 3rd day I got them, they would embrace, and the female would drop the eggs, but she wouldn't gather them for him nor would he try to catch them falling from her. So I was unsure if they were even fertilized, so I left the eggs alone figuring they would get it figured out, and I GUESS they have!!! So now there is 2 females and 1 male who is left , and they are both trying to get him to TAKE THEIR EGGS!!!! They are both swimming around VERY DARK RUBY RED/BLACK with White Eggs poking out of their vents trying to get him to go into her pipe wile the other female is distracting him!!!! I will watch closely tomorrow, as I might have to get a net breeder to separate one of the females, so the other pair can get back to business!

Anyway I will try to get some pics, but they have been very Camera Shy so far! And they go into hiding as soon as I break out the camera!!!

If anyone as worked with them themselves and can offer any helpful advice I will be VERY GREAT FULL, as there are a few good articles online, but firsthand info is always helpful!!!!!

Thanks and Take Care,
Drew

Reactions: Anorea

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Nice find. Poor guy was probably hiding, the females are pretty needy, if you know what I mean.
Remember these guys are good jumpers, keep them covered.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Nordic!

Yep got the tank covered with proper glass lid, and bought new back trim and cut perfect holes for filter pipes to go threw as well as air line tubes too! I also keep the water level 2.5-3" low to keep a warm moist air pocket above the water for the parents as well as the fry! AS I will probably keep the males in this tank and remove the females to another tank when they are both holding! Once they release the fry I will catch the males and place them in a net breeder in the same tank to recover and eat good for some time. Then when it is safe to move the fry, and the males are recovered from holding I will put the females back in the main tank! Well that is the over all plan at least!!! LOL I will see how it goes!!!;)

The fry are supposed to be pretty big, so I have a couple small Brine Shrimp Hatcheries built and ready to go, and I have different feeder worms till I can get them eating frozen and NLS Growth formula. So we will see!!!

Take Care Bud!!!
Drew

Reactions: Anorea

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well GREAT NEWS!!! BOTH MALES are now HOLDING!!!! :)

I also got some pics yesterday evening, but I haven't been able to go threw them all to see which ones are good, so I will do that tonight and post them when I am done! I got a HUGE SCARE while finishing the pics though! I was lucky enough that the 1st holding male got interested in what I was doing and he came out of his Hornwort hideout to see what I was doing. He went and got beside his favorite cave and allowed me to get a few shots of him that I hope turn out so we can see him holding!!! Well the Female who had breed with him had returned to her normal colors overnight while the 2nd had stayed the Ruby Red/Black, so it was a perfect time to get pics to show the difference! So I started taking pics of them and the other male and kind of forgot about the holding one. Well 10 minutes or so go buy, and I was finishing up and I saw the holding male and it looked as if he had spit or swallowed the EGGS!!!!! I hollered HOLLY CRAP, and my Wife started asking what was wrong! So I quickly went to the freezer and got a cube of frozen brine shrimp and prepped it to feed, because if he did eat he obviously ate or spit the eggs! Finally after the Shrimp were ready I loaded them in my feeding syringe and dropped a few drops in the tank, and only the 2 females and the 1 male came to eat!!!! THANK GOD!!! I was thinking I had stressed him into aborting his dutys, because to get good pics of the colored up female I had to use the flash and with all of the Hornwort and the 1-24" Floro. tube it is pretty dim in the tank!

But after feeding the other 3, I was able to spot him in his Hornwort Hideout he has made for himself, and he was for sure holding, as I saw him flaring his gills and throat to adjust or flush clean water over the eggs , and his throat is still packed full!!!! So NOW the second Male has made himself a Hornwort Hideaway too, and didn't come out to eat tonight either!!! So now I will catch the females in a few days and move them to another tank to give the males some PEACE while they are doing their jobs, and wait to see how they do on their first holding then spitting job in 10-14 days!!! Some people have had their new Dads continue to hold and basically starve themselves to death! SO I WILL BE WATCHING CLOSELY!!!!!

Thanks for the Replys, and again if anyone has any Info please feel free to post it up!!!
Drew

P.S. Pics to come shortly!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.