The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my LFS todayto ask a few questions and found that they sell this light. I have 2 finnex stingrays and 1 fluval 3.0 light that are growing and maintaining my plants quite well near the middle and top beautifully. However I find that some of the leaves and or plants on the bottom portions are a bit lacking. I was recommended two of these because of how well these lights would penetrate to the bottom of the tank. My question would be would it be worth saving for these lights? I really like how much customization comes with these units.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How wide is your tank ? You will have to compare your current setup light strength to 2 AI to have either at least same or better.

For the plants at the bottom of the tank, it could be a flow issue as well and not light. are you using the stingrays 1 or 2 ? How high your current light are from the substrate ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's plenty. Go for it. It'd work on a 90. I'm growing a carpet in my 72 bow and i've only got the lights at about 75%

I also love the customization. And they don't lose track of time if the power goes out.. So your light ramp can still be in sync with co2, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The lights are right on top of the tank itself. I don’t have them lifted up in fact I had to take the brackets off years ago from them because they didn’t fit the frame right. I am using the stingray 1.

I have a surface skimmer that kinda helps a little but if that’s the case with the leaves on the bottom lacking I will adjust that accordingly.

Aquarium dimensions are 48 in long, 18 in wide and 21 in deep without any substrate. I have about 3 inches of controsoil substrate.

It's plenty. Go for it. It'd work on a 90. I'm growing a carpet in my 72 bow and i've only got the lights at about 75%

I also love the customization. And they don't lose track of time if the power goes out.. So your light ramp can still be in sync with co2, etc.
Ok. Good news for me. I’ll make sure to save and buy when I can.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The lights are right on top of the tank itself. I don’t have them lifted up in fact I had to take the brackets off years ago from them because they didn’t fit the frame right. I am using the stingray 1.

I have a surface skimmer that kinda helps a little but if that’s the case with the leaves on the bottom lacking I will adjust that accordingly.

Aquarium dimensions are 48 in long, 18 in wide and 21 in deep without any substrate. I have about 3 inches of controsoil substrate.
You currently have around 100 PAR at substrate if your lights are at 100%. One AI prime is around 86 PAR at 24 inch deep. so its almost double the par at some place in the tank.

Just a heads up when you will install them, These are "spot" light. You will have stronger light under the light and between the 2. Where the light will overlap you will double the PAR. So i will recommend you to start at around 40-50% intensity then see if everything is good(algae wise) before ramping them up.

Indeed they are great lights, i use them too and like them a lot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still 100 Par is more than enough at substrate for good plant growth, so i would look at increasing your flow around the substrate.
Wow. If that's the case then I will just stick to what I have, lol. I definitely underestimated what I had. I will try to add another power head on the opposite side of where my surface skimmer is to see if that helps. Thank you so much for the par info. I tried to look where to do that and was trying to do the lumens per liter method which probably would have been overkill.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow. If that's the case then I will just stick to what I have, lol. I definitely underestimated what I had. I will try to add another power head on the opposite side of where my surface skimmer is to see if that helps. Thank you so much for the par info. I tried to look where to do that and was trying to do the lumens per liter method which probably would have been overkill.
it might not be 100 PAR but something between 80-100 since Stingrays 1 give around 20-25 each at 21" and the fluval 3.0 around 60-65.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts