The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a fluval 2.6 gallon spec, It is heated and has fluval stratum in it already. Does anyone have ideas for how to stock it? Definitely will be heavily planted. I also have two 10 gallon fish tanks that are not heavily stocked and could be grow out tanks? Would like something other than a betta, maybe shrimp?

·
Super Moderator
16,083 Posts
You could potentially keep a Betta in a Spec like that, depending upon the fish and its temperament. But I wouldn't try unless you have a ton (many years) of experience. Bettas really need more room than that. On top of it, you'd need to modify the tank to reduce flow.

Shrimp work really well in small Specs, though, and don't need a heater (not even in Canada.) You'll need to modify the intake so they can't get in and seal up the hole near the bottom of the filter chamber so they can't crawl in. Tons of shrimpers here on the forum have done that (I'm one of them), so definitely check out some Tank Journals to see how they've done it. Requires weekly water changes, strong parameter stability and focus. Small parameter swings in small tanks can be deadly. It's easy to overfeed and kill off your entire tank for newcomers.

2.6 gallons really isn't suitable for much in terms of livestock. I use a couple small Specs as Heterandria formosa holding tanks sometimes but only when they're really young. And they're pretty much the tiniest fish you can keep in the hobby. Spec is too small for them. I'd go the shrimp route if I were you - but I'm biased and shrimp are my thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I was thinking that I would see if the shrimp would breed and then move some of the new shrimp to one of my ten gallon tanks to prevent overstocking. I just have 7 cardinal tetras in one of the 10 gallon tanks so I think that it would be shrimp safe? I feed my other tanks frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp, would the shrimp like those or should I just feed algae wafers? I have read that adding a piece of sponge from a hang on back filter can shrimp proof the filter intake. I know this is a lot of questions, again, thank you!

I will post a picture of it when it is done, Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
16,083 Posts
Thank you! I was thinking that I would see if the shrimp would breed and then move some of the new shrimp to one of my ten gallon tanks to prevent overstocking. I just have 7 cardinal tetras in one of the 10 gallon tanks so I think that it would be shrimp safe? I feed my other tanks frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp, would the shrimp like those or should I just feed algae wafers? I have read that adding a piece of sponge from a hang on back filter can shrimp proof the filter intake. I know this is a lot of questions, again, thank you!
10 gallons is also pretty small for Tetras. Doable, I suppose. But it's pushing a lot of limits because they're a shoaling/schooling species and they need a lot of room to swim - the bigger the aquarium the better. I wouldn't add anything else to the tank.

If it can fit in the mouth of a fish? It can become a fish meal. And even if a fish can't easily eat an adult shrimp, it can still harm and harass shrimp to the point of injury or death. Depends upon the fish, of course, but it still happens. Combined with the fact that Tetras need a heater - something shrimp don't need - I'd probably stick with a shrimp-only tank if you're new to the hobby.

Most algae wafers are protein-heavy, so it would greatly depend upon ingredients. While they need some protein, feeding them something vegetable-based is likely more ideal. A frozen spinach leaf, bit of zucchini, an Indian Almond Leaf, Oak leaf, a shrimp-specific food, stinging nettle, that sort of thing. Feed every 2-3 days and only what your shrimp can finish within an hour or so - remove any leftovers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts