The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the layout pretty well set, and a dry start is well on it's way. I just don't know what other plant to put in there. I was thinking some Anubias nana petite in front of the stones and then Blyxa behind. But I think Blyxa is too big.

I have the Anubias and Blyxa on hand. I also have Rotala wallichi but that's way too tall. I have a few stems of Staurogyne repens as well.

Other than that I'm going to have to SnS it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
352 Posts
It looks very split up. I would slope the substrate up to a mound in the center and center the rocks in the mound, then spread the plant you've got in there now around it as a ground cover across the front, then put something a little taller in the back.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It that way because the HC decided to grow across a straight line. That stuff is really well rooted. I'm not sure ripping up 1.5 months of dry start is going to produce the results I desire.

What plants would you use for a background? What other plants would fit in such a small space?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Some people can get dwarf hairgrass to get somewhat tall. Mine always stayed 1.5" or shorter though. Dwarf saggitaria could work. It's been known to get fairly tall, especially once it gets filled in completely it will start putting out taller plants, or regular saggitaria get maybe a foot tall. it might look nice to have the long leaves draping across the back of the tank depending on how your current moves. Stem plants can work if you don't mind trimming often, and I don't think Blyxa gets very tall on average.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ted, your scape reminds me of the Lion King for some reason. You planning on doing Iwagumi I'm assuming.

Some people can get dwarf hairgrass to get somewhat tall. Mine always stayed 1.5" or shorter though. Dwarf saggitaria could work. It's been known to get fairly tall, especially once it gets filled in completely it will start putting out taller plants, or regular saggitaria get maybe a foot tall. it might look nice to have the long leaves draping across the back of the tank depending on how your current moves.
That explains why I could never get my sagitaria to look uniform. I take out the smaller ones, plant in front, then it grows tall. I then put them in the back and the new runners are short. Grrr.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess it would be Iwagumi. I never really put a name to it, but that's what I have in my head.

The Lion King. How funny. Now that I look at it, that does look like that rock.

In retrospect, I think the rocks do need to move a little towards the center to come more in line with the rule of thirds. I'll try to move them without wrecking the HC.

You know, I do like the look of the plants bending and going along the surface. I am not sure I can pull it off. It's such a tiny space.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Could you maybe pull up a small portion of the HC from the back side that's closest to the empty substrate and spread it out across the front, move the rock right up against the HC on the one side, then have the HC kind of curve around the front of the rock, then leave what's left on the right side and back for something taller? I can't see any equipment in the tank so I don't know how your filter is blowing water into the tank, but if you position it right, you should be able to get something with long, slender leaves to grow like that. probably regular Saggitaria would work best, as it doesn't get nearly as tall as vals, but will still get fairly tall. I even have a few that have a bit of a corkscrew to the leaves.

·
Registered
352 Posts
That explains why I could never get my sagitaria to look uniform. I take out the smaller ones, plant in front, then it grows tall. I then put them in the back and the new runners are short. Grrr.

I've never expirienced it myself, but many people say that once dwarf sag reaches a certain density in a carpet, it will begin sending up taller plants instead of the short, bushy plants.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is not equipment in the tank right now. In fact, still no water. The HC will eventually surround the rock especially when I move it closer.

I plan on running a nano canister. I think it will be a ZooMed 501. If the spray bar is short enough, I'd like it to blow side to side on the tank. The long way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.