The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi folks, just wanted to share my second planted tank. a 2.5 nano. It is an experiment... I will make a journal if/once things develope as planned.

specs:
2.5g All Glass tank.
Custom hood w/20w cf
Azoo nano filter w/sponge prefilter.
background/sidewalls/floor are all java moss in gutter webbing w/suction cups.
substrate: none
hardscape: one limestone rock

plants:
java fern and windelov.
java moss (wish i had taiwan or something...)
najas grass and water lettuce floating.
"lucky bamboo" emmersed.
that's it!

inhabitants: 'bout 12 RCS juvies.

my goal is for there to be almost zero open water... just a sea of green. and this is no tech/low maintenance. i'll switch out the 20w to a 13w if I need to. i still need to paint the back/sides/front over silicone black when i get the chance...

any feedback appreciated!

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
front over silicone only. to hide AG's nasty silicone job and the black mesh. think of it like a picture frame or something.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Very nice!

I was looking at doing a 2.5g for my desk. Already have a 1g and 2g....I want another one!

·
Registered
108 Posts
How did you construct the hood? I plan on setting up my own nano soon, and I'm leaning towards constructing my own hood as well.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the hood is made out of 1/4" oak board (like plywood) and 1"x2" wood nubs in the corners to provide support and locations for nailing/glueing. Inside painted flat white, outside painted satin black. Total cost of materials was about $5 in wood (already had glue, nails, paint, and tools). Bulb was $5 and I disemboweled a $3 Goodwill cliplamp for the fixture and cord.

I'll post pics if you ask.

·
Registered
159 Posts
strangely enough, thats the exact same way i'm going to make a lid for my nano. lol.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Pics would be great if you have them handy. Is your tank open top, or is there a glass lid under the enclosure?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looks Great I like the idea of it being like a picture frame as well. The bamboo looks awesome.

I just built the stand and hood for my 40 gallon corner, angles angles angles :) Gratifying though.
Regards ~ Dane

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The hood is angled for the bamboo and filter in the back left corner. Yes, I do have a piece of glass over the tank (which is angle-cut also). this is what the legs of the hood rest on. Drilled two ventilation holes. Gets warm to the touch but not hot.

here are the hood pics somebody requested.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I love where you're going with this tank! I think it'll be absolutely beautiful once the moss starts growing through the mesh material. I can't wait for the photos! :proud:

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
first update on this one in awhile and made some changes...
1. took out the limestone, it was too big. added two rocks siliconed together to become one rock (fits the scape I have in my head...couldn't find a rock like it). Rock has peacock moss filling in nicely and a anubias nana on the apex for accent.
2. shrimp s#!t more than I thought, so the moss floor wasn't working out. Added flourite and HM as ground cover.
3. Replaced moss walls...was guttering material with java moss, now it is needlepoint grid with Xmas moss. The guttering material wasn't tight enough against the walls and the shrimp got behind it. This stuff stays tight. And I've heard Xmas is good for walls. Java moss had grown in somewhat, so I took a few steps back for changing it, but as they said in panama when I lived there Hay mas tiempo que vida (there is more time than life). I put the light in front of the tank 1/2 the day so it penetrates the mesh wall better. oh yeah, you can see some stringly moss poking up from on the back of the rock towards the right of the rock... that is my 'midground' lol. there is HM behind it too...
4. added one more lucky bamboo to fully hide the filter intake.

upkeep: WC 50% every 2-3 weeks... a little CSMB here and there and a micro splash of NPK... .5mL excel every few days.... all miniscule quantities (hooray for baby-medicine droppers!).

current inhabitants: like 20 RCS. will hold a pair of clown killies when the moss is done filling in.
still haven't painted the background/sides...need to do that someday

comments/suggestions apprecatiated, as always:

·
Registered
889 Posts
The tank looks great :) It will look awesome when the moss walls fill in. And like Cydric said, the Taxiphyllum sp. 'Peacock' looks great:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update.

Journal of Last Month's Activities:
Pulled the HM...was going to get to big without constant pruning and I needed it for my 20g.
Added marsilia minutae in place of HM.
Got rid of 1/2 of my 'rock' to make room for pellia.
Nana petite is growing great.
Added three dwarf lobelia...not sure if I like them. We'll see.
Moss wall has grown in somewhat. Still areas to fill in. I pissed off the moss (check out the upward Peacock growth on the rock) turning it light green with a 5x excel overdose trying to kill snails. None died. THAT is irony. gotta love it.
Added ESCARNO, the snail assassin, a baby dwarf puffer. He ate a snail the first 30seconds in the tank, there are noticibly fewer not even a day later. He is only temporary, he is 'on job' until the snail population drops. I have started a 10g dwarf puffer tank, you'll have to wait and see. It will be outrageous! Coming soon to a forum near you!
Added one amano shrimp to eat hair algae. I dosed too many ferts one time accidentally, triggering the outbreak. It is under control. I've also backed down to 15w.
Got this annoying carnivore plant that I can't get out of the moss. I might just leave it. It grows 10x faster than moss is the problem. Suggestions?
Added a starter colony of Endler's... there are 6. 3m 3f. No tail nipping from puffer yet. If so, he gets the boot before he completes his assassination assignment.
Added one olive nerite snail, a very small one.
Lots of cherries are preggers, and there are lots of runts running around. Gives the puffer 'playmates.' lol

I need to trim the moss wall to allow the bare areas to grow in better. And trim the abnormal peacock growth.

Update again in another month. Till next time... peace.

·
Registered
517 Posts
i can see the carnivore thing! i got it too :( did you get the xmas moss from chuong? anyways my solution is to let it grow somewhat long, and then yank it out. it seems sturdier when longer and less likely to tear. though i'm beginning to worry it's releasing spores/seeds or something because it still revives itself in less than a week.

looking great though, i hope my moss wall fills out that big soon. it's been going for a month and it's only an inch or so. any tips?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts