The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I've finally settled on a hardscape, and I just finished planting and filling. Here's what I ended up with:

It's a standard 2.5g, with one of those 27w Lights of America desk lamps over it. I don't plan on adding any CO2 to this tank, as this project is all about finally making my foray into the low-tech world.

The rocks are Texas petrified wood. The substrate is 3M Color Quartz, T-grade. The plants are Marsilea minuta.

Tomorrow I will be sterilizing my Red Sea nano-filter and hooking that up. After that, I play the waiting game and see how things go from there!

Comments are always appreciated. Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Very cool! I will be keeping up with this. I just finished my own 2.5G, I will be starting it's journal this weekend when I get a chance to upload pics.

Are you planning to do stems in this tank? I was considering doing hygro in mine, but I'm not sure how they will look compared to the size of the 2.5.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Eventually I will. But for now, just marsilea. I don't know about Hygro, because it really would be too big for this size tank. It would throw off the scale. In my past experiences with nano tanks, it's very important to use small-leaved plants. I'm particularly fond of the Rotalas. But also Ludwigia arcuata, Hemianthus micranthemoides, Didiplis diandra, among many others.

Thanks!

·
Registered
124 Posts
i had liked this hardscape a little better...

but this one is growing on me

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I liked it too, but there was always something about it I just couldn't put my finger on. Then when someone mentioned that both rocks were competing for the focal point, it all made sense to me, and I had to agree.

These tiny tanks are tricky! You think you have a lot of room when you are staring at the empty tank, and even after you put your big rock in there as the focal point... but then the moment you start adding your 2nd, 3rd, etc., it dawns on you: Dang! There's only 6 inches of width to work with here!

Anyway, thanks for your comment. Hopefully this scape will grow on you, as I've already accepted it for myself. I like it, because there's more negative space now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I liked it too, but there was always something about it I just couldn't put my finger on. Then when someone mentioned that both rocks were competing for the focal point, it all made sense to me, and I had to agree.
I see what you mean now... (i didnt know this was a 2.5). the pics make it look a lot bigger than it is :p

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Glad to see Chris sent you awesome plants, too. He is amazing at growing them, isn't he? This will look amazing when it fills in.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Indeed he is! I am fortunate that he lives so close to me, too. :) Thanks for stopping by!

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
Good start. I wish I knew you were thinking of HM, I just threw out a small batch that would have been perfect for you.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
^ Well I wouldn't have wanted to put it in this tank just yet anyway, so it's cool. I do, however, need some for my 45g, and my local aquatic nursery hasn't had any of it for a long time now, so let me know when you have your next batch of trimmings. ;)

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, it was actually already filled in that last pic. But then it was drained. And moved. And now it's filled again!

I now present new pics of my cool little 2.5g! First, the picture-perfect FTS:

Then a few more nice shots from different angles, to show growth:

And last, since I know someone's going to ask about him, here's one that shows my little djembe guy in better detail:

Hope you liked! :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update time! :biggrin:

There has been noticeable growth on the marsilea. Seriously, I didn't think I would be able to see the new growth happening on a weekly basis, but it's evident. Here are the pics:

A closeup of the marsilea, to show the new growth:

And a few parting shots:

:icon_cool

·
Registered
283 Posts
Looking good Church. I still need to decide on some type of carpet for my tanks and this has me strongly considering mimicking you.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was looking at some marsilea m. @ the lfs today and wondered what it might look like as a carpet. Reminded me alot of glosso but in a low tech kinda way. Good to see you've utilized it as such. Great job planting the stems, it'll fill in nicely. Aren't carpets so much easier to plant in a 2.5? :flick:

Just wondering, but why did you keep the rim? They're real easy to remove from these two-point-fives. Work each corner up little by little, and it'll pop off.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Honestly, I don't mind the rim so much. I guess, I figured if I removed the top rim I would also have to remove the bottom one too, because I don't really care for the way they look when people only remove the top one. And I was just trying to keep it simple, since this is my only official low-tech tank.

Thanks for the compliments on my planting style. :) I spent a long couple of hours carefully cutting each node out of a bundled up mass of marsilea! I used each and every node that came in that bundle, I'm proud to say. No waste whatsoever, for the first time ever. It was just the perfect amount for this little tank. And yes, these little 2.5's are a breeze to carpet! I can see it happening, even with no CO2, in about 2 months I'll bet. :biggrin:

Devin, be my guest! There needs to be more marsilea carpets out there. I discovered right before setting this tank up that there aren't even that many good images out there from just using a google image search. So hopefully this tank will at least provide good pictures of healthy marsilea carpets for others to reference. I'd like to see someone do a big iwagumi, like Amano-style, with marsilea in place of the common glosso. Then a school of 500 cardinals swimming over it!

1 - 20 of 127 Posts