The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i guess i'm back in the game. :)
i'm setting up a 2.5g nano again, and since i've been out of the game for so long, i'm having a hard time remembering some answers to common questions.
so here is where i'll start:
how far will 13w CF get me? i see a lot of people using the 27w lamp but are also using co2 and growing HC and what not. i'm trying to avoid the co2 whether diy or cylinder. that being said, i was planning on using lower light plants i.e moss, crypt, and a type of low light stem anyway. seeing as the lamp i'm using isn't a type of desk lamp, i was just going to set it on top which would put it at about an inch or so from the waters surface. i know that this increases the intensity of the light, so in a sense, would it be just as intense as the 27w and i'd end up having to raise it?
next quesition. i see these 27w tanks are also dosing. would i need to dose with the 13w lamp?

for right now i think these are the main questions i have. i'd really appreciate the feedback i know you all are capable of. :) it feels good to be doing another tank whether 2.5 or 50 gallons! :hihi:

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I use a 27 watter over my 2.5, but I keep it raised up higher than I did when I used the same lamp over my 5.5. As far as dosing, I think you should always dose a little... the amount and frequency should just be in conjunction with the amount of lighting and CO2 you have. With the 13w, you wouldn't be EI dosing of course, but a little bit here and there will be appreciated by the plants. :)

With your plant selection you should probably be fine.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you think with the 13w that close to the water that i would be forced to use co2?
and when you mean a little here, a little there, how much are we talking here?

gotta remember, this is all refreshing my memory... :(

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks church. i appreciate the reference. :proud:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay, so after playing with the lighting i already had, it doesn't look like the 13w is going to cut it for me. it's just not bright enough. i guess i will have to break down and end up doing the 27w lamp. boy boy boy... it never fails. :icon_roll always something to make you spend a little more money. :hihi:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I've done a 13 watt lamp on a 2.5 with it about an inch from the water's surface and Glosso carpeted. So you might be fine with your current lamp assuming the spread's sufficient.

Tank looks really great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts