The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Ill be using a DIY C02 system for my dorm room tank, and I was curious if I should downscale the normal 2 leter C02 system since the tank is much smaller.
Should I use a water bottle?
Also would I have enough pressure to run a Nano glass C02 defuser? Since I kind of ordered one online :)

Thanks for all the help.
-Matt

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I used one of the canisters that the nutrafin co2 ladders come with and it is a little bigger than a water bottle on my 2.5g. It worked fine with a nano glass diffuser. You will have to play around with the mixture though to get the right amount of bubbles. Search for a diy mixture for a nutrafin canister and you should be able to base your mixture off of that.
recipe:
"For the Hagen Nutrafin Canister:
Sugar to the bottom inside line,
Water to the top inside line,
1/8-1/4 teaspoon yeast
1/4-1 teaspoon baking soda"
-taken from John N.

So probably like a cup to 1 cup and a half of sugar and fill the water to the point where the bottle starts to curve to the lid. I would try to get one of those extra large water bottles though.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will have blue pearl shrimp in it in a week or 2.

Thanks for the reply radioman. Ill deff look into getting a big water bottle and play around with mixtures, I just mainly wanted to make sure that I am not pumping to much C02 into the water.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
It will have blue pearl shrimp in it in a week or 2.

Thanks for the reply radioman. Ill deff look into getting a big water bottle and play around with mixtures, I just mainly wanted to make sure that I am not pumping to much C02 into the water.
If you have enough surface disturbance it shouldn't be a problem but even with diy you can overdose. I have done it. I would look into getting a drop checker to watch your co2 levels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts