The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i really want a fish tank here at college. i have 2 at home a 29 planted and a 65 gallon turtle tank. i rly wanted to have a ten gallon planted tank here but im not sure where id put it. i have a spare 2.5 gallon sitting at home i can use. i go home on weekends and i have about a month off for winter break. these are my concerns about setting one up here. any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Good thing about a tank that small is that you can just bring it home if you cant find someone to take care of your fish over winter. I lived in the dorms last year and i transported my 20gal back and forth. Its always kinda a pain....i wish i woulda just set up a 2-5 gallon haha

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know someone who used a 2.5 to transport a betta back and forth.

ok, so if im going with a 2.5 can anyone help me with pretty much everything ha
substrate?
plants?
ligthing?
so i need a heater?
what should i stock it with?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have a 5 gallon.
substrate- 1/2 inch layer of sand
plants- 2 anubias nana, 10 strands of anacharis (use low light plants in general)
lighting- 9 watt
heater- yes (my roommate likes to keep the window open all the time, even in winter)
stock- 1 betta (you could put shrimp, snails, scarlet badis)

·
Registered
637 Posts
I would put a heater unless you're very confient that the temperature in your room will stay very similar all the time.

The thing I would say most likely to flourish in a tank that will have to take a little abuse (moving around a lot, and/or missing feedings) would be a small colony of cherry shrimp. If you really want fish I would do one betta and nothing else, or maybe a trio of male guppies.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
for a while i was big into guppy breeding. so im thinking i may just make a ten gallon fit somewhere and use it to breed guppies or mollies, maybe plattys. maybe put in some snails, ghost shrimp (they are $0.10 around me) and maybe a a couple otto. ill update you guys once i figure it all out. ha. thanks so much for your words of wisdom!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.