The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I decided to keep track of all the changes in this tank. It's going to be one that I try hard on, but still keep it pretty low tech. My plans so far

2.5 Rimless
Unknown Polish filter
12" Finnex Stingray

Fauna: Betta

Flora: Anubias nana petite, Dwarf Hairgrass & still deciding :help:

Ferts: Flourish, Exel or comprehensive.
My idea for the tank is some type of stones on the left, about 3. Behind them will be some type of taller plant so my Betta has some coverage. As for the foreground it will be a Dwarf Hairgrass carpet with possibly some other plant at the back.

This tank has weird dimensions. It is only 5" in depth. So it's going to be a challenge to find some nice rocks that fit accordingly.

As for the 8g

8g rimless tank
AquaClear Filter
Fluval 13W 6500K

Fauna: 2 Dwarf Puffers

Flora: unknown completely

Ferts: unknown
Not entirely sure on what I'm looking for in this tank. But im mainly focusing on the 2.5, but wanted to add in the 8g for the future.

Just a little info, I'm from Canada and have a 65g community tank, 8g with my Betta and a bunch of other tanks not in use, over the time I have shut some down. I'm currently on vacation in Poland, and have bought the 2.5 rimless (Which I somehow need to bring back to Canada in a suitcase and also bought the filer here) so now I'm planning.

These will be my first rimless I try to create a nice aquascape. So sorry for my lack of knowledge. I appreciate and comments or ideas. Thank you for reading. Hope to update again soon.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Our local Petsmart had it, the Plant Guy in Winnipeg too, occasionally. And my favorite source, Aquariums West. They very promptly mail me top notch plants, each pot has a lot! A little pricier but there's a discount that helps with shipping. Very pleased with them so far with 3 orders.
But you're in Ontario, right? Seen in another thread I think. I've seen plants on Shrimp Fever and Angelfins sites. I've purchased from Angelfins and I like their online service.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our local Petsmart had it, the Plant Guy in Winnipeg too, occasionally. And my favorite source, Aquariums West. They very promptly mail me top notch plants, each pot has a lot! A little pricier but there's a discount that helps with shipping. Very pleased with them so far with 3 orders.
But you're in Ontario, right? Seen in another thread I think. I've seen plants on Shrimp Fever and Angelfins sites. I've purchased from Angelfins and I like their online service.
Thank you! I actually just was looking through angel fins and its 30 mins away, it looks like a great store.. Don't tempt me :hihi:

Well, I think I figured out my scape for the 2.5 please forgive my sucky drawings. So I'll have anubias nana petite inebtween the rocks. Hopefully seiryu if they have that. Dwarf Hairgrass carpet and some elodea in the back left. Along with some color, not sure maybe ludwigia red. (Weird pink squiggle) And he green blob is unknown.

Any tips are great! I'm still thinking of new ideas as well.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Thank you! I actually just was looking through angel fins and its 30 mins away, it looks like a great store.. Don't tempt me :hihi:

Well, I think I figured out my scape for the 2.5 please forgive my sucky drawings. So I'll have anubias nana petite inebtween the rocks. Hopefully seiryu if they have that. Dwarf Hairgrass carpet and some elodea in the back left. Along with some color, not sure maybe ludwigia red. (Weird pink squiggle) And he green blob is unknown.

Any tips are great! I'm still thinking of new ideas as well.
I think none of us need to be tempted by other hobbyists, we tempt ourselves, ogling sites like this and Pinterest and YouTube and GTAAquaria and BCAquaria. Shall I go on?
Angelfins has Ryuoh stone, and Manten. Just saying. ;)
Your drawing looks good, squiggle not weird. Gets the point across, he he.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think none of us need to be tempted by other hobbyists, we tempt ourselves, ogling sites like this and Pinterest and YouTube and GTAAquaria and BCAquaria. Shall I go on?
Angelfins has Ryuoh stone, and Manten. Just saying. ;)
Your drawing looks good, squiggle not weird. Gets the point across, he he.
Hahaha, very true. It's sad... I just bought a tank and already am considering buying another from Angelfins....

Thanks! Someone said in that green blob some wood.. But I'm not sure if it'll be "too much"

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Personally, I'd stick with just the stones. But it's a personal preference.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still in Poland and went to the best aquarium store I've seen. I got some Seiryu stone. They're small but should fit the 2.5g nicely. Posting pics tomorrow probably.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been awhile, but the tank is up and running. Has been for more than a month. My Betta is loving it. I skipped some steps so I'll just add some of my Info!

Lights: 12" Finnex Stingray
Substrate: caribSea Sand

Flora:
Anubias nana petit.
S.Repens

Want to add some type of reddish plant in the back or to hide the filter.

Fauna:
Betta
Nerite snail

Exel 3 times a week Mon, Thursday, Saturday.
Flourish comprehensive weekly

Will add DIY CO2 soon

Here' are some pictures as I want to keep this updated.

As for the 8g,

Light: Fluval 13W
Substrate: fluval stratum

Flora: who knows

Fauna:
2 dwarf puffers
1 oto
1 ghost shrimp and now recently 14 red cherry shrimp

They have colored up nicely now. That was when I first bought them. The puffers and shrimp are getting along well. I'm going to redo this tank one day, it's quite a mess, no real aquascape. I'm planning on another rimless soon anyways, once that is figured out it'll get a nice cleaning and rescape.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi your tanks are absolutely beautiful, great job! The Stingray works great on the 2.5g tank.

Can i ask on you 8g did you introduce the puffers before or after he shrimp? I've done a similar setup and introduced the puffer after the shrimp and it ended up killing all my shrimp.

thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Powerclown and Fish Em Thank you so much! Means a lot!

tahuboy: Yes I agree! I love the finnex stingray, I had to drive to the states to get it but it was worth it hahaha.

As for the 8g, The tank had one ghost shrimp before I added the puffers. To my surprise they didn't kill it. After observing it for months I saw the puffers weren't really aggressive to anything except themselves, every now and then they would chase each other but nothing against the shrimp. I added an oto to see and they don't bother him at all. So recently I added the cherry shrimp and after a few days I have seen no aggression or any shrimp deaths.

I wish you the best of luck, they're a really nice addition to the puffers since they add some color to the tank.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I would recommend moving the DP's to a larger tank. Once they grow they become a little more territorial to their own and need a lot of broken lines of site. Also, please consider when adding territorial fish to add more than 2. When you have 2 there is a dominant fish and submissive fish. In some puffers case the dominant one will pick on the submissive fish till it dies. In this case DP's should be kept in groups 3 or larger.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys, I'm trying to think of some more plants to add in the 2.5g, I'm thinking something red any ideas? I also wanna cover the damn filter.. Going to add co2 on the weekend.

Here are some pics, this is the friendlier puffer.

Here's my new desk. It would be perfect to have a tank there inbetween the lamp and ipad but I'm scared of an algae attack when the sun shines. Sigh.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would recommend moving the DP's to a larger tank. Once they grow they become a little more territorial to their own and need a lot of broken lines of site. Also, please consider when adding territorial fish to add more than 2. When you have 2 there is a dominant fish and submissive fish. In some puffers case the dominant one will pick on the submissive fish till it dies. In this case DP's should be kept in groups 3 or larger.
Sorry completely misseD this! I actually did have 3, but unfortunately one didn't make it. Like I said before I'm going to redo this tank soon and hoping for a more heavily planted tank.

Thanks again!

SHFT Haha! Thank you! I will do my best. I'm hoping I'll go this weekend and get some more plants. As of now the tank hasn't been changing much!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts