The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to show you all my new planted tank, and even ask a few questions. here's a picture to start.

for filtration I have the azoo mignon with a tube of filter foam stuck on it. For heating I have an elite 25w mini heater. Lighting is a 9w CFL in a custom hood. I dose .2 ml of excel a day and lighting is on 10 hours.
I guess I should give you a bit of background on this tank. I set it up about 2 months ago, I started it by putting a gallon and a half of water from my cycled 10 gallon, and a gallon of treated tap water. After that I squeezed out the filter from my 10 gallon into the tank. from then on I did regular water changes using old tank water. never had any problems with any clouding, no smells, maybe a little bit of algae. after about 2 weeks I put in some ghost shrimp to see how they did, they were happy and eating the thick layer of bio-film that coats my tank to this day. 2 weeks after putting them in there I ordered my cherries and moved the ghosts into the 10 gallon. all 15 survived the shipment, and they are still alive now. Not just alive, BREEDING!!!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/5rMyknHAlic

This isn't the only one, I woke up today and saw a second one had eggs too!
Pretty happy that they have eggs after only a month of being in my tank. I don't think and of these guys are even fully grown....

Anyway, They seem to be doing 3 things, Pooping, eating, and screwing. I hope that's what Happy shrimps do.

I have a couple questions to ask, I've done a lot of reading online, and its probably why my shrimps are still alive lol. there are a few things that i'm not too sure about.

1. how often should they molt? I see 2-3 molts a week with these guys, I don't think they are fully grown. they molt more when they are younger, right?

2. They don't care for the algae wafer pieces I drop in. occasionally one of the shrimps will go over to it, and others will take notice and eat it up. But I usually have to put it right in front of a shrimp before they figure out to eat it. They would much rather walk around the tank plucking at the fluorite, wood, and plants... Maybe there is just a lot of bio-film and they like that better? is this normal shrimp behavior?

3. Is there any point in using carbon in the filter?

4. I wan't to dose a small amount of nutrients, what should I start with? I want it to be pretty minimal, just enough to help the plants grow.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts