The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Being that my original idea received less than rave reviews, I set about re-thinking my nano tank stand idea. It seemed to me that most people liked the bottom of the stand but the top reminded them of a gallows :icon_frow. From a purely functional aspect, I found out that the 13w AH Supply light wasn’t cutting it for me with the HC as well. So I ordered another 13w kit for a total of 26 watts (much better) and approached the design from a different angle.

-Enter new approach-

The new design is just your average lid design except nano-ized. There are 2 AH Supply 13w kits inside for a total of 26 watts. I plan on using just one of the lights for most of the day and then having the other one come on for a noon day effect.

Here is a good shot of how it looks with both lights on.

With the lid open

It was important to me that I had good access to the tank for maintenance. In my first design the whole assembly rotated out of the way so I could get my big mitts in there. In this design I made a hinged door which opens big to satisfy that need

It was a little tricky figuring out where to put the ballasts. I wanted to make the hood as small as possible so I made a little "box" that sits on the back of the hood that houses both 13w ballasts. It's open on the bottom to allow the heat to vent off. You can see it better in the first photo.

I also bought a new filter (Zoo Med 501) which again, you can see in the first photo. I bought it for two reasons: I wanted it to be more "stealthy" in the tank :cool: and the Deco Art Nano Filter I have just doesn’t cut it :thumbsdow. So far I am really impressed with the 501. It seems to have just enough flow without being overkill.

I will keep everyone posted once I begin the planting. Until then...

Original Post
I was sick of the plain 2.5 gallon tank sitting on my table so I came up with this:

I utilized my new 13w AH Supply light kit overhead. I'm really pleased with how everything turned out :)

What do you guys think?

P.S. the light swivels out of the way for easy planting/maintenance!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on first impression i think "gallows"
but its really nice! works well with the tank, maybe varnish it or paint it black?
Haha, the thought never crossed my mind!

I think black paint would look nice. Might even look less like a gallows :icon_wink Truth be told, I'm not completely finished, I just wanted to see how everything fit together. I plan on taking off the top plastic rim on the 2.5 as well so we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like the base for the tank and I like the light enclosure. Per the other comment, the arm for the light does look a bit like something out of "The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly." <Cue whipporwill call from the movie's soundtrack> :)

Any possibility of exchanging the wooden arm with a metal one? Or making a new wooden light support that comes up either side of the tank to form an arch (that is, two uprights and a third piece across the top from which the light is suspended)? Just a thought.

By the way, how do you like the AH Supply 13W light? I'm about to order one for myself.

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Metal is probably out of my league. All the materials were things I had laying around in my garage. I suppose I could modify it but I kinda like it as it is. Like I said before, I don't really see the gallows when i look at it. I suppose I see more of a "for sale" sign for a house or something like that :) Regardless, I'll see how it grows :hihi: on me.

The AH Supply light is everything I'd hoped it would be. I got the 6700K bulb. Very bright and easy to assemble! I may try out the 5500K in the future though, I dunno. I kinda like the greener feeling it puts out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I do think that if you paint the wooden arm black it'll diminish the gallows effect significantly. Just don't go hanging any ropes off of it! :)

Glad to hear the AH Supply light is nice. The quality and quantity of light in your tank looks perfectl

Scott

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think the arm should be attached from the back... the profile view of the arm does seem a bit morbid.
I think Yoshi/Daniel has nailed it. If you had two uprights coming up from the back of the tank, I think that would be just the thing. And it would look fine in wood (painted black, ideally)--disregard my earlier recommendation of metal.

(I don't mean to nitpick with what is a nice setup--just wanted to chime in and remark that when I read Yoshi/Daniel's idea, my immediate reaction was, "That's it!")

Scott

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think it looks great. Fill in the nail or screw holes with some wood putty, give the whole piece a good sanding and give it a coat of satin black paint and you will be good to go. You did a nice job putting that together with odds and ends.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I agree with Yoshi make the light look like its floating, and if you take the trimm off then paint the base a gunmetal gray or blue-grey to make it look clean for that ADA look. The base I think is the best part of the kit.overall very creative on your part.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the Miro reflectors are 3" wide so yes it's feasible, you'd just need a wider enclosure (most 2.5G's are roughly 12" x 6", Miro 4 is 8" x 3").

Out of curiosity, why do you ask?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Thinking about settting up a 2.5 with Hc, wanted to know if it was possible to fit 26 watts of Ah power over it and grow some mad Hc.
thanks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dont know if you noticed but I'm growing HC in my tank. I wouldnt say it's "mad" growth but it has done really well. 26w would definately be interesting... Good luck :proud:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yea, i saw, but i want this tank to grow it fast enough to spread it through some other tanks, IDK i might go with one, would be cheaper than a desklight:)
I think you could do a pico reef with 26w maybe:)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.