The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2.5 gallon iwagumi (sorry, no pics up yet) and so far, there is a Halfmoon Betta, a small Amano, and an oto. Day after tomorrow, my 12 berried RCS will arrive. So will all of this be too much? I can remove the oto if too much. Thanks.

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't see the oto getting enough to eat in a 2.5g tank in the long run. The betta is going to feast on your shrimp too, though that might be your plan with 12 berried shrimp going in.
Yeah, I know. The oto I specifically added because I have a pretty bad brown diatom outbreak. If/when it cleans it up, I'll move it to my Ebi. But the fish has been very docile towards the Amano so far. Trust me, the first nip from the betta, it's out to the other 2.5 I have.

Tbh, I think that's really pushing it with the oto and RCS.
I think it'd be better with just the betta and amano shrimp.
Okay, I think that I will be removing the oto after the algae subsides. But the shrimp are already purchased and on their way, so there's no going back.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Yeah, I would take out the betta before it makes your shrimp into lunch and replace it with something small bodied like a couple of neons. I would also take out the cory, since the bottom of your tank is going to be covered in shrimp and it could get a little crowded.
Also, be aware that amano will make an occasional snack out of other smaller shrimp as well, especially if food is scarce.

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I would take out the betta before it makes your shrimp into lunch and replace it with something small bodied like a couple of neons. I would also take out the cory, since the bottom of your tank is going to be covered in shrimp and it could get a little crowded.
Also, be aware that amano will make an occasional snack out of other smaller shrimp as well, especially if food is scarce.
Umm, they'res no cory? I guess you meant the oto. Um, the betta, well, yeah, it may be evicted... But the amanos? I have had BIG amanos with TINY shrimplets and never had a problem with this.

·
Registered
162 Posts
In the "old days" the rule of thumb was 1" of "adult sized" fish per gallon of water. Based on this rule a Betta and Otto cat are already over the limit.

I'd ditch all the fish and keep only the shrimp is a tank this small. You might want to expand your tank capacity as your shrimp grow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.