The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
That's pretty cool. :) It would be cooler if you piled the rocks up more toward the back and then had some gradually smaller pebbles as it got to the front. It might give more of a feeling of depth.

I can't wait to see the crabs!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's pretty cool. :) It would be cooler if you piled the rocks up more toward the back and then had some gradually smaller pebbles as it got to the front. It might give more of a feeling of depth.

I can't wait to see the crabs!
I 'll try to find some small dark pebbles, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey, this is cool! Very interesting colors, pleasing to the eye. I'd like to see those MTS sift through the rocks. :hihi: Do you have a picture showing the plants growing out of the tank?
beside the MTS i put also some red ramshorn snails, i want to breed the snails to have a back-up for my assassin snails..and also want to figure out the mystery of micro crabs breeding.
Here is the picture( sorry for the low quality):

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi,
Thai micro crabs seem extremely cool! good luck with those!
Are these sword plants planted in the pebbles? If so they may have a hard time growing well...
What would be interesting is a "bamboo forest" with numerous lucky bamboos, then you;d have the image of a ruin lost in a jungle...

·
Registered
225 Posts
You could go with a Hydor Mini Heater for 2-5 gal tanks, they raise tank temp about 5 degrees F from room temperature. You Can't regulate the temp though. Not sure what those crabs need.
They are under gravel heaters so you only see the cord, mine works well for my 4 gal nano. You can get them from Petsmart for around $10-15 I think.

For a light you could try a standard desk lamp that takes Compact fluorescent bulbs and get a 9 or 13 watt 6500-6700k bulb.

Looks awesome, keep us updated, I'm interested to see the crabs and let me know if you start getting baby ramshorns!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Couple of things to keep in mind ... based on my experience with Micros (Limnopilos naiyanetri)...

these little guys (as with most crabs) are omnivores, they require a certain amount of meat protein in their diet... so you'll need to either flood the tank with food or spot feed them at least a couple times per week... I spot feed mine brine shrimp and/or tubiflex with tweezers (one of them will literally climb the tweezers to grab the food) :)

also...

In a tank that size you'll most likely never see them unless you go hunting for them, and even then I expect you'll have a very difficult time locating any of them. I have three in a ~one quart glass bowl with a good amount of Fissedens fontanus and still have trouble finding them at feeding time!

They are great little critters and when you can locate them in their given enclosure are a blast to watch! ( mine sit next to my computer chair, where I can keep an eye out for them)

Good luck with your little tank & keep us updated on your progress....

Larry K

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Couple of things to keep in mind ... based on my experience with Micros (Limnopilos naiyanetri)...

these little guys (as with most crabs) are omnivores, they require a certain amount of meat protein in their diet... so you'll need to either flood the tank with food or spot feed them at least a couple times per week... I spot feed mine brine shrimp and/or tubiflex with tweezers (one of them will literally climb the tweezers to grab the food) :)
Larry K
I thought they eat whatever stuck in their hairy legs, thank you for the additiona info..have you tried breeding them? i heard many people have troubles raising the young that last like 3 days before they die.
i have 5 of them in my 55 gallon riparium, i can only see like 2 or 3 under the driftwood, i am assuming in this 2.5 gallon that they will hide inside the ruin ornament,it has door and windows openings and its dark inside, if that the case i will throw food in the ruin at feeding time.. or maybe they'll catch baby snails.:)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was looking online and found those marineland mini heater 10 watt, they said that it will keep the tank at 78F constantly, anyone used this before in a 2.5 gallon? does it really keep the tank at 78F all the time? i wish to find a small heater that can be adjustable.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I was looking online and found those marineland mini heater 10 watt, they said that it will keep the tank at 78F constantly, anyone used this before in a 2.5 gallon? does it really keep the tank at 78F all the time? i wish to find a small heater that can be adjustable.
Your good to go if you keep your house around 70F (or above). I don't have specific experience with the 10W, but have had good experiences with marineland heaters (mostly VisiTherm).

Here is a good calculator:
http://www.kernsanalysis.com/HeaterCalculator.cgi

·
Registered
390 Posts
Just a heads up, my my 10w Marineland mini heater quit working after two days. They are basically a mini version of the Marineland stealth heaters, and my 25w Marineland stealth hetaer worked for one day before it died.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought Elite 25 watt 6'' long and the temp is adjustable.. not submersable though..it was 3 times cheaper(at the LFS) than marineland 10 watt, although the last one is submersable and smaller in size.
The light is coming in the way, 13 watt full spectrum flip lamp..and i put order for 5 crabs next week.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.