The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whelp... I'm doing it! I'm going to set up my first nano! I went out and purchased a 2.5 gallon tank today and spent the last half hour making it rimless. I plan on eventually putting 6 Boraras brigattae in it when all said and done.

I have a couple of quick questions if you guys could help me out.

1.) What light structures would work he best for this little tank? Desk lamp? I've read halogen is bad... what wattage should I look for? I'm going to be using DIY CO2.

2.) What are your filter preferences? I usually prefer canister so I'm thinking either the Eheim 2211 or the ZooMed 501. Would these be too powerful for a 2.5?

3.) I am planning on using Amazonia I and planting it with HC in the foreground. I would like to use Downoi in the midground (are there different colors of these?), and I'm looking for a good plant for the background corners that is a little bit darker green. Maybe a dwarf java?

I would really appreciate all the help! I'm pretty excited!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Hampton bay daylight desk lamp from home depot for $20. I have two. They work great.
2. A 2211 would work great.
3. Downoi only comes in greens. Dwarf java fern would work.

Wow thanks a lot! That answered just about everything. Can you give me a bit more info on the Hampton bay daylight desk lamp? Maybe a picture of it or a model? How many what's and what kind of light?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there an easy way to hook DIY CO2 into a 2211? Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've got one of the 501 canister filters on my 15gal and it does great keeping the tank circulated. I stick it on my 2.5 when I do rescapes for the fish, but it pushes them around quite a bit. I wouldn't recommend it for such a small tank.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got one of the 501 canister filters on my 15gal and it does great keeping the tank circulated. I stick it on my 2.5 when I do rescapes for the fish, but it pushes them around quite a bit. I wouldn't recommend it for such a small tank.
I was kind of worried about that. Maybe i'll just go with a cheap small HOB filter instead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.