The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a fairly easy or atleast safe and practical way of removing the black bezel from a 2.5 gallon nano tank? I've cracked one and figured I'd ask here for some help before I go raging mad.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
A good razor blade should do the trick. You should get it in between the glass and frame cut the silicone all the way round and the frame should come off. Just do it slowly and carefully not to cut yourself and not to crack the tank.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I looked at a tank about that size at Petsmart. Just wondered how clean/good/even the cuts were under the frame.

SteveU

·
Registered
230 Posts
hey there i've cracked 2 tanks trying to derim a 5.5g (look at my thread!)
I know its very frustrating. The prefect too you need is this kind of razor blade
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ool&ndsp=18&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&start=36&um=1

I found one in a different tool box after i completed the whole project.
I could of just derimmed the first 5.5 without cracking it and buying another one and cracking that one.
Hope that helps you out!

·
Registered
711 Posts
I looked at a tank about that size at Petsmart. Just wondered how clean/good/even the cuts were under the frame.

SteveU
i took off the rim of my 2.5, the glass was not even, and it was a female dog to scrape off the silicone. looked worse, so i put the rim back on.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
i took off the rim of my 2.5, the glass was not even, and it was a female dog to scrape off the silicone. looked worse, so i put the rim back on.
lol... that's what I'd expect under the trim but didn't even think about trying to remove the silicone. Glad I didn't go for it, but they're so cheap it was hard to resist.

SteveU

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips fellas! I figured a razor blade would be about the only practical way. Damn the tank for being so fragile. the thing about it was that i got three edges up and off the glass and was working on the last corner when the glass supporting that edge cracked and came up with the bezel. round 2 here i come

·
Registered
376 Posts
Check out this article.

I just de-rimmed a 2.5 gallon a few days ago, and there are some tricks to make it go easier and look better. First, assume it's going to be a 1-2 hour project. Getting the rim off is easy, scraping off all the silicone residue is the time-consuming part. Use lots of fresh razor blades. I used a new blade for scraping every edge, so 8 blades, plus 8-10 that i used cutting through the plastic rim. changing blades often makes this project much easier.

Using a utility knife, I whittled the plastic off each corner, then cut off one edge at a time. this makes the common mistake of too much leverage on a corner a non-issue. I also quit messing around trying to just cut the silicone, and after isolating an edge (cutting off both connecting corners) i would simply run the blade the length of that edge, cutting through the black plastic rim (top edge), then peel both pieces off. I changed blades on my utility knife every edge.

Once its off, its just a matter of using a razor blade at a 45degree angle to scrape off the silicone residue. these work well for scraping -

This was the fifth tank i've de-rimmed - broke the first one trying to get the rim off in one piece. Used the above strategy on all the others, and haven't broken one since. Once you get the hang of it, its pretty easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts