The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a standard 2.5g that I have about a half inch sloped to an inch and a half of substrate. The tank is 8" deep I believe. Would a 1x18w PC fixture from Catalina be enough to maintain a carpet of HC and maybe a bush of Blyxa? I'm going to have some sort of CO2 going for sure.

I think the fixture feet are about 2" tall so the light would be 8.5 to 9.5 inches above the substrate.

They also have a 2x18w fixture but I think that's too much based on the Hoppy sticky.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My mistake. They are 13watt. But I don't think that would make much of a difference.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
One 13w bulb directly on top of 2.5g, wasn't enough to grow me an HC carpet. Maybe it was due to the lack of co2, but it didn't carpet for me. The light is about 8 inches from the substrate, I have 1.5inch all around.

I would definitely get the 2x13w light, especially if you're able to turn one off just incase.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies and thanks for the link Xmas. Interesting. I believe the Catalina Lighthouse fixture I was looking at has one cord and one switch. I could pull one bulb if it ends up being too much. I may be able to mod in a second switch too.

They also have a 9" long 3x13w fixture. :). Still one cord and switch though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts