The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I recently got a 2.3 gallon with some fun dimensions. It's about 18" long by 7" tall.

So far it has some dwarf hairgrass and micro sword in there.

Filtration: Hagen Elite Underwater Filter.
Lighting: Two 10w 6500k CFLs.
Substrate: Flourite Black Sand.
Supplements: Flourish Comprehensive using a syringe for dosing. Flourish Excel sparingly. Paintball CO2 with the Aquatek Regulator.

Still pretty cloudy from initial set-up, but here is a picture so far...

------------------------------------

01/13/13 Tank Update:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
2.3 Gallon Nano Update:

My ammonia and nitrites are very high, so hopefully this underwater filter can finish the cycling soon.

Here are some updated pictures of the tank...

I've been watching the dwarf hairgrass closely because I have no idea if 2 10W CFLs are enough light or too much light when they're only about 6 inches above the plants. It seems to be staying green so far... same with the micro sword.

A bit about the tank maintenance so far:

Dosing 0.3mL of Excel every 36 hours or so.
Dosing 0.3mL of Flourish Comprehensive 1-2 times per week.
Added two root tabs that I had laying around from a previous tank.

About the filter:

I cut the sponge in the Hagen Elite filter in half, and put a bag of activated carbon and a bag of bio-media in its place. I took an undyed pantyhose and cut it up to form the bags. Seems to work pretty well so far.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I cant believe this has slipped by without anyone commenting ! Its looks excellent, well done for making a 2.3 gallon look like a 20 long !
Im looking forard to an update already !

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply!

Here is a picture of the sole inhabitant right now... A ghost shrimp that I took from another tank of mine.

After this tank finishes cycling, I'm going to hopefully make it into a shrimp tank. Not sure which species yet.

This is my first nano tank, and I have to say... water changes with this thing are awesome. Two 20 oz bottles of water is about all it takes! Haha.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Take the carbon out, keep the foam and added bio-media.

Dose more excel.

Based on your photo's it looks like the distance from bulb to substrate is around 8", you've got enough light to grow a dense carpet if you can meet c02 and fert needs of the plants.

Very nice rock layout.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Take the carbon out, keep the foam and added bio-media.

Dose more excel.

Based on your photo's it looks like the distance from bulb to substrate is around 8", you've got enough light to grow a dense carpet if you can meet c02 and fert needs of the plants.

Very nice rock layout.
Thanks for the helpful tips! I'll remove the carbon and dose a bit more excel to get the ball rolling.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Here is an update on my 2.3 gallon nano tank.

The dwarf hairgrass has been shooting out runners like crazy! :D

The micro sword has been doing well, too. I added some more of it to the left side of the tank.

I also got an Aquatek Paintball CO2 regulator and set up my CO2 a couple days ago. The plants seem to love it so far! It might just be in my head, but the tank looks a lot greener now in person than it did two weeks ago. ;)

This is my first time using CO2... I love the way the hairgrass sends off tons of tiny bubbles to the surface during the day. It looks so cool.

Thanks for reading! I'll be updating again soon!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks, guys.

I'm just not sure what I could stock it with since it's so tiny! Maybe shrimp of some kind. Suggestions?

Ammonia is nearing 0 finally. Nitrites are still reading rather high. About another week and it should be good to go!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I'm just not sure what I could stock it with since it's so tiny! Maybe shrimp of some kind. Suggestions?
If you want fish you could probably get away with a few chilli rasbora's just fine since they are so small. I think they look cool in a nano planted tank because they are red and pop against the green nicely. I'm starting a 3 gallon in my office right now and that's what I'll be stocking it with, in addition to shrimp.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.