The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I've been wanting try to start a low budget planted tank for a while and this idea popped in my head. I wanted know if you though I should run with this idea or should I just get a 5 gallon tank for my first set up.

I was thinking of getting some type of container like the one pictured below and putting in some ada soil for substrate. For lighting I would use clip on LEDs on all four sides of the container depending on the size of the light fixture. I would like to grow a ground cover plant like glosso,babytears, or maybe hairgrass. I would like to stay away from CO2, if possible. I plan on adding a air bubbler and eventually a DIY filter made out of PVC pipe. Once things start to grow and water parameters are right, I would like to add some RCS or Sakura Shrimp.

Any ideas or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I used a tub like that for DHG outside this summer. I had to build a 2"x4" frame because those plastic tubs will bulge when full of water or it you move them. That will at least disturb the roots, worst stir up you soil. So you'll ned some way to help them hold their shape.

You might save money using MTS. if you plant emersed you can just use potting soil, top soil, or even dirt from a safe area(no Chem-lawn)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used a tub like that for DHG outside this summer. I had to build a 2"x4" frame because those plastic tubs will bulge when full of water or it you move them. That will at least disturb the roots, worst stir up you soil. So you'll ned some way to help them hold their shape.

You might save money using MTS. if you plant emersed you can just use potting soil, top soil, or even dirt from a safe area(no Chem-lawn)
I didn't think of it bulging when I needed to move it, thanks. What is MTS?

·
Registered
199 Posts
MTS=Mineralized top soil. There is a DIY tutorial on how to make MTS here in the forums. It worked great for me.

I wouldnt waste time with a tub, although the experiment sounds fun, you will quickly want more out of your set up. Plastic becomes brittle, especially with temperature change, water and pressure. Avoid the tsunami and grab a 10 gallon tank, a used 10 gallon would hold up better/longer than a plastic tub IMO. Lastly, NEVER avoid co2 haha, theres nothing like it! :D :D Good luck, you will have fun either way.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
For a starter tank 20 gallon is my favorite. It the easiest to find a light for. I got 1 with stand on craigslist for $20. Check it out.
Here is mizu-chan thread on 20 gallon tank.

Instead of MTS you could just get miracle organic potting soil and top it with river sand. River sand I get from landscaper for $3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, I decided not to use the container. I am either gonna get a all class cube or 10 gallon tank. Thanks for the suggestions on substrate, I am going to look in to those. I already have a whole bag of miracle grow garden soil, can I use it in this application? Is the filter in the link below a good filter for this set up, if I decide to use one?

Miracle Grow Label> http://www.scotts.com/smg/products/Miracle-Gro/soil/in_ground_plants/pdf/mgGardenSoilTreesShrubs.pdf

Filter > http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetrafish/catalog/Detail.aspx?id=4217

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't use that soil, You dont want anything with special "formulas" or "continuous release food" Use something organic. Miracle Gro Organic Choice is what i used. Filter is okay, Though an HOB would be better. would be take up less space inside teh tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.