The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

After several years of having a nondescript Tanganikyan tank full of rocks, I have decided to start up a small river tank with plecos. I ordered some plants and received most of them in good health except for one:

corkscrew vals
lace java ferns
crypt balansae
bolbitis asia
java moss
anubias lanceloti

The anubias has lost all but one leaf. My question is, how do you tell if you have a healthy rhizome? Will it still re-grow it's leaves?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
First off, welcome to PT! :)

Pick it up on your hands and squeeze the rhizome. Is it hard, or soft and squishy? If it's soft, throw it in the trash.

Most anubias are very hardy and will survive lots of conditions and will just sprout new leaves.

PS: If you're starting a river tank and manage to find hillstream loaches (aka chinese hillstream loaches aka butterfly plecos) in the SoCal area, please let me know where you found them!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, the rhizome is still firm, with many roots on it. What is the best way of re-growing the plant? Would it be best to take it out of the tank, and set it where there is a lot of sunlight? Should I leave it in the tank? Is there anything I can supplement it with?

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts